Tri-Tip Help

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Thinking of cooking a tri-tip today for the first time. Our local butcher is actually stocking it for the summer. Not normal for this part of the country. My question is, what is the everyone's favorite way to prepare? Do I rub it first? Gasser or Smoker?

Thanks,

Buckeye Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
Thinking of cooking a tri-tip today for the first time. Our local butcher is actually stocking it for the summer. Not normal for this part of the country. My question is, what is the everyone's favorite way to prepare? Do I rub it first? Gasser or Smoker?

Thanks,

Buckeye Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to do a "Reverse Sear" with tri tip and other thick cuts. Cook indirect in the 240-265* range until it hits around 105*, remove from the grill and tent with foil. Crank up the heat on the grill to 450-500* and sear over direct heat until you're close to your desired doneness, remove and rest before slicing.

Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and garlic powder work well for tri tip.

I actually smoke tri tip on the cooker like anything else. Get the smoker at about250 and throw it on there for about 4 hours and monitor internal temp for your desired level of doneness. Turns out great.

Thanks to all for your help. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the butcher, they were out of tri-tip so I will have to do it next weekend. Can't wait and thanks again for your help.

Buckeye Bob

Back