Tri-Tip for chili cook-off/cooking chili in smoker?

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
I've got a competition chili cook off at my office and I'm thinking about using tri-tip as the main ingredient for the beef.

Couple questions .. do you think smoking the tri-tip would add a significant overall flavor to the chili? Some of the "smokey goodness" we all love?

Also, would cooking the actual pot of chili with some good smoke wood actually impart much flavor to the dish as a whole?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes to both questions. Smoking the meat will surely add smoke flavor. Also, cooking the whole pot on the smoker will add smoke flavor as well. If you don't already, consider staggering your 'dumps' (adding spices). Some flavors dissipate over time and many competitors stagger their dumps to ensure the right amount of flavor is there when the chili is eaten.

Good luck!

Paul

I'd go with the tri-tip but wouldn't smoke either. I tend to use Gebhardt Chili Powder as a base. Good Luck. BTW I took 3rd in the State.

I'm actually planning on using a recipe that calls for sirloin cut into small cubes augemented with spicey sausage. I'm thinking of using chorizo.

I like to roast the bell peppers and onions on the grill before adding them to the chili, haven't tried smoking the whole pot though. You'd have to be careful not to over smoke the chili, might get to be bitter tasting.

Bill, any chance you will share that recipe with us?
icon_smile.gif
I have been volunteered to cook in a chili contest for a holiday cook off and have never cooked a pot of chili in my life!

I bet tri-tip would be great.

Beans sure are good on a smoker so I don't see why chili would be any different.

Thanks for the recipes and suggestions... The cook-off is on a Thursday. I will be at work all day and then have to take the chili to the cook-off at 6:30. Would it be ok if I froze it and re heated it? I know that some people think that it is better after it has been re heated, but I dont want to mess up the recipe. thanks again for the help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Lanier:
Would it be ok if I froze it and re heated it? I know that some people think that it is better after it has been re heated, but I dont want to mess up the recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know about freezing but I definitely think chili is better after it has been in the fridge at least overnight and reheated.

I recently entered a chili cook off and with a lot of help from Larry Wolfe left the comp with this:

IMG_2360.jpg

I made it the night before and thought it was just ok. The next day, after the rest in the fridge, it was really, really good...the best out of 16 entries.
icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats on the win! I think i am going to make it the night before and just keep it in the fridge at work till cook off time. Has Larry posted the recipe on this site somewhere?

Not sure if it's on this site anywhere but it's at Larry's Blog...The Wolfe Pit

If you've never been to his blog it's really good. You should check it out.

I kind of combined his recipe with my mother's, emailed it to Larry and he suggested some things to add/take out/ect. I was really happy with it!

I got your email address from your profile and emailed what we came up with if you want it.

I've used tri tip in the past and took 2nd in a couple of local comps. I don't smoke the meat though, just brown and cook with dumps of 5-6 types of heat after first browning chorizo.

If I compete again, I'd use chuck which should yield a more tender texture.

Mark in tradtional cook offs beans are not allowed.

John

Back