Tray to put WSM on

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I would like to know if anyone in Ontario Canada could tell me where I can get a drip pan big enoughto sit the smoker on.Is there any problem of sitting it right on the deck
Thankyou.

Well, I'm not from Ontario, but I went down to my local auto supply store and bought a oil drip pan. (the type you put under your car to keep it from staining your garage floor)It was only about $10 and it's galvanized so it won't rust. Good luck, Don

I'm using my WSM on a stained pressure treated deck without any type of heat shield. No problems at all.

I did use it a friends on his deck that was painted pine decking. Sucked the hot bubbling sap right up out of the wood.

I also have a treated wood deck. I wanted to play it safe, so I bought 6 12" square concrete patio stones, about 2" thick. They're very plain-looking squares, and they're dyed brick red. I don't think the color added any cost, but if you want a pattern, that costs more. They were fairly cheap, I think about $2 US each.

The WSM really fits on 4 of them, but I like having the extra space. I don't care about keeping them beautiful, so I didn't buy a drip pan. When I'm done, I usually stack them up in a corner of the deck.

Today, I actually lit a charcoal chimney directly on the stones. I mean, the only thing between the stone and the chimney was the newspaper that I lit on fire. It didn't seem to do anything to the stones.

I do think the drip pan would be more convenient, because those bricks are pretty heavy. But I've read about people burning down their house with a charcoal smoker, so I went with the bricks. The problem is that the fire on a smoker is very low, so the deck has a chance of heating up to the point of burning.

By the way, I also bought a fire extinguisher before I lit up the WSM for the first time. It might sound like I'm over-cautious, but I'd hate to not have one handy when I really need it. Like a first-aid kit, it's the type of thing you buy and then hope you never use.

--Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back