Tray for Food Prep

I use one very similar to it all the time at competitions. I foil the pan and use it when I am rubbing my ribs. Once done I just throw the foil away, saves on clean-up. I also use it when it comes time to wrap the ribs. I foil the pan once again take the ribs out of the WSM and place them on the pan then take them over to the table to foil. It is necessary piece of equipment I take to every comp with me. The one I purchased was from Gordon Food Service or Restaurant Depot and it had a rack that fit inside the pan.

I have several of those jelly roll pans. I bought them at GFS also, and that's not a bad price IIRC. I use them for prep/rub on butts,brisket,chicken and ribs.Makes transporting the meat to the cookers easy and clean-up is a snap. One thing I noticed is don't put them in the DW. They discolor and turn gray.

Tim

I use one of those for transporting my food, etc to,and from my grills. As previously stated, definitely cover in foil.

The only problem I come across is after a while (if used in oven), they are a pain to clean.

For a couple ribs or a couple butts, you don't need anything that large. I've used a regular cookie sheet for years. As others have said, I use HD aluminum foil to save on cleaning. I do stick it in the dish washer and yes, it's got a certain kind of patina, but I don't care what it looks like as I use the aluminum foil. I do think I will get one of those larger pans though (thanks for the link) because every now and then, the cookie sheet is a little too small (when I do three racks of ribs). I would think anything that's sturdy and has a lip would work well.

I just use what we have..cookie sheets, broiling pans, roasters, platters.....etc. if the meat fits, I use it.

I have one like that I got at Restaurant Depot.... Very handy.not expensive , either.:wsm:

Last edited:
The one pictured is a full sheet pan, one challenge is cleaning. Because of the size it either won't fit or very hard to fit in a dishwasher and even harder to fit in a standard home sink. They will not fit in a standard oven, however I use half (18 x 12) and quarter sheet pans all the time. They fit in a standard oven and are easier to fit in a sink or dishwasher.

Another alternative (beside foil) is to use 18 inch plastic wrap over your counter.

Sams and Bass Pro have large butcher NSF cutting boards I have several different sizes and one that fits inside of a high walled cookie sheet/pan.

The one pictured is a full sheet pan, one challenge is cleaning. Because of the size it either won't fit or very hard to fit in a dishwasher and even harder to fit in a standard home sink. They will not fit in a standard oven, however I use half (18 x 12) and quarter sheet pans all the time. They fit in a standard oven and are easier to fit in a sink or dishwasher.

Another alternative (beside foil) is to use 18 inch plastic wrap over your counter.

Ditto. That will be a P.I.A to clean. Like J Reves I use a smaller sheet pan ( high quality aluminum left over from my bakery days). It's handy for a ton of things around the kitchen and grill. If you do any cutting during your prep the aluminum pan will be horrible on your knives.

Parchement paper also makes a great work surface.

Back