Traveling with WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
How do you transport your WSM? I'm thinking of taking my WSM to my dad's for Thanksgiving and doing a bird. I'm wondering how to get it there. I was looking a cargo carriers but I wasn't sure how to secure it. I have an suv, but the thought of putting it in the vehicle doesn't quite seem right.

Put the pans and racks in 2 plastic trash bags. Get a big galvanized washtub (I can measure ours for you if needed), set the base and center section down in the washtub, place your bag of charcoal, smokewood, utensils, etc. down inside the unit, place the lid on top, and run bungie cords through the handles of the washtub through the handle of the WSM and down to the handle on the other side of the tub. Set the plastic bags with the pans and racks down inside the washtub between the WSM and the sides of the tub. We've hauled ours like this quite a few times. Keeps the inside of the vehicle clean as well.

Well, this may not be the norm(in fact I'm sure it's not)...

I have an old van that I bought from a friend, it's a 1991 Chevy G20 model that I only use for camping. I put all the pieces(after rinsing them well) into the biggest trash bags I can find. Make sure to pack 'em tight because they WILL roll around. When I get to the campsite, I just unload 'em and start cooking. Reverse the process when you're done.

What you don't want to do...and I found out the hard way, is to let the bags with the WSM pieces inside sit in the car for a few days( I had to travel for work). It smelled horrible in that van and took me a week to clean the odor out.

The smell inside the car/suv is what I'm worried about. I'll be in the car for at least 10 hours. That's why I was looking for an outside the car option. The garbage bag ideas do have potential though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry N.:
The smell inside the car/suv is what I'm worried about. I'll be in the car for at least 10 hours. That's why I was looking for an outside the car option. The garbage bag ideas do have potential though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerry, I doubt that 10 hours either way will effect the smell of your car. What got me was a WEEK of traveling. I came back and my van smelled like I'd had a serial killer rave going on in there. A ten hour drive shouldn't affect you to bad I'd guess. These things are messy though, that's why I'd reccomend the bags. The tiniest bit of grease will show up on your Auto carpet.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri C:
Put the pans and racks in 2 plastic trash bags. Get a big galvanized washtub (I can measure ours for you if needed), set the base and center section down in the washtub, place your bag of charcoal, smokewood, utensils, etc. down inside the unit, place the lid on top, and run bungie cords through the handles of the washtub through the handle of the WSM and down to the handle on the other side of the tub. Set the plastic bags with the pans and racks down inside the washtub between the WSM and the sides of the tub. We've hauled ours like this quite a few times. Keeps the inside of the vehicle clean as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keri, that's awesome...I'd never thought of using tubs. I'm sure I could pick up a couple of huge ones at the hardware store or walmart.
Thanks.

Jerry,

I purchased a "Hitch Haul" carrier from Walmart. I think it was around $50.00 They had to special order it because I have a 1-1/4" hitch instead of the 2" they normally stock. I fit the WSM, Weber kettle and my Smokey Joe on it for a contest. You don't even know they are back there.

MikeZ

Just used a hitch haul to transport two WSMs last weekend. I got the 12inch side rails for an additional 30 bucks..
I used ratchet web straps. One on each WSM, fully assembled (use the inside space to hold fuel, etc) over the top, under the handle and hooked at the ratchet mechanism and then around the body and tied off. (don't let your buddy ratchet these down for you or else you will end up with a bent leg)...I then threw a large bbq cover ($15 dollars at home depot) over the top and used a truck cargo net to hold that down..I am going to place grommets on the bbq cover and just use small bungees next time and skip the net..other than ground clearance issues the hithc hauld worked great and my wife does not complain that I make her Denali smell like smoke...

See above response..........

The only thing I did different was to put some foam padding at the top and sides (under the straps) where the lid fits into the center section. I also put a bungee around the middle to keep the door on.

Be careful so you don't bend the top vent!

MikeZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
See above response..........

The only thing I did different was to put some foam padding at the top and sides (under the straps) where the lid fits into the center section. I also put a bungee around the middle to keep the door on.

Be careful so you don't bend the top vent!

MikeZ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike...I like the bungee for the door. I used duct tape (was in a hurry) but the bungee will be cleaner and not leave a residue on the outside. I forgot about the top vent...thanks for the reminder.

Thanks. Very helpful. I feel the itch for some new gadgets, I think I'll go shopping this weekend. Only down side is that means I probably won't be able to get anything smoked this weekend. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back