Traveler patio gas adapter

Jim Nunn

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on adapters for using a Traveler compact with patio gas propane.
I have ordered the grill but not received it yet, but am trying to understand what I need to also order to connect my patio gas. Looking at the Traveler in a shop I see it has a regulator built in for using the disposable canisters. Does the propane still need to go through this by connecting to the same point as the disposable one, or can I disconnect this and connect the propane instead (with it's own regulator) directly to where the other end of the short hose built in goes to by the control knob?
I was thinking I wouldn't have to get the £50 Weber adapter, but I can't figure out what I do need.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

The House regulator has to be a low pressure regulator if it doesn't pass through the grill regulator. What I would do is hook it with the grill regulator still in place and see if it runs OK. Worst case is that it won't run high enough.

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on adapters for using a Traveler compact with patio gas propane.
I have ordered the grill but not received it yet, but am trying to understand what I need to also order to connect my patio gas. Looking at the Traveler in a shop I see it has a regulator built in for using the disposable canisters. Does the propane still need to go through this by connecting to the same point as the disposable one, or can I disconnect this and connect the propane instead (with it's own regulator) directly to where the other end of the short hose built in goes to by the control knob?
I was thinking I wouldn't have to get the £50 Weber adapter, but I can't figure out what I do need.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Hi Jim, you need a regulator or proper regulation before propane enters the valve. Whether you use a regulator hose assembly from Weber or the Travelers built in regulator is up to you

I have not converted a traveller but I have converted Weber Q’s. They should be same concept - regulated propane into the grill valve.

Congrats on the Traveler. You'll enjoy it. I just enjoyed making smash burgers on my Traveler tonight using 2 solid griddle plates. I believe the Traveler Compact is similar to my regular Traveler. I use only a 5ft propane hose to connect either a 20lb or 5lb LP tank directly to my Traveler. Hose connects directly to same fitting as where the 1lb disposable bottle would connect. I don't really use 1lb disposable bottles.

Traveler with 20lb tank.jpg Traveler with 5lb tank.jpg

Make sure hose is screwed in tightly as engaging the threads is slightly tricky. Use liquid soap/water solution to check connection from hose to Traveler and then from hose to Tank (check that bubbles of propane are not leaking out from connections).

The hose I use is the inexpensive PatioGem 5ft Propane hose (braided stainless steel) from Amazon which cost about $13 when I bought it.
Patio Gem 5ft.jpg
Link to Amazon:

Last edited:
Thanks all for your advice. I've ordered the Weber adapter as I found one at a good price.

The third party ones don't seem as easy to get here in the UK. Postage from the US wasn't too bad but I think the propane tank attachment is slightly different than what's sold here as Patio Gas. Anyway, I found one.

Hopefully everything will be here by the weekend so I can have a play!

On the topic of griddle, there are also 2 grates on the compact - one that's the same size as the full traveller, plus a smaller one, so the griddle will fit in place of the larger one. I'm going to keep an eye out for a deal on one of these, as full price is £60 here. I have got a rectangular plancha type one for using indoors on the stove, so I might give that a try.

Thanks all for your advice. I've ordered the Weber adapter as I found one at a good price.

The third party ones don't seem as easy to get here in the UK. Postage from the US wasn't too bad but I think the propane tank attachment is slightly different than what's sold here as Patio Gas. Anyway, I found one.

Hopefully everything will be here by the weekend so I can have a play!

On the topic of griddle, there are also 2 grates on the compact - one that's the same size as the full traveller, plus a smaller one, so the griddle will fit in place of the larger one. I'm going to keep an eye out for a deal on one of these, as full price is £60 here. I have got a rectangular plancha type one for using indoors on the stove, so I might give that a try.
You can’t go wrong with Weber branded adapter. Your plancha will certainly get the job done. Interesting to know about the different grate sizes to help make the Compact more portable than a regular Traveler. I keep my Traveler set up all the time beside my Charcoal kettles. I’m primarily a charcoal kettle guy but I’ve been enjoying and using the Traveler a lot more frequently than I anticipated.

I usually keep my Traveler set up half solid griddle and half grill grate. I’ve been using the griddle more often because I think fish and vegetables stay more moist and have a richer flavor over griddle. The Traveler does a very good job grilling beef/lamb/poultry but I still prefer grilling those over my charcoal kettles.

I bought a second griddle plate. The extra space is great for making breakfast… eggs, bacon, and hash browns simultaneously.

I use the Onlyfire griddle which is reversible with a raised pattern on one side and flat on the other. It is currently on Amazon for about $31 after coupons:

I've always been a firm believer that charcoal is king, but having young kids put an end to mid week barbecues, so I bought a cheap copy of the traveler to do for mid week cooking when I don't have time to get a proper fire going. Ended up using it more and more. Mostly just for steaks, but I realised for most quick cooks, the flavour difference was minimal. Long cooks can't be replicated, even with a smoke box in my experience.

Anyway, the cheap one has failed after 3 years despite me looking after it, so I decided to go for the genuine one like I should have in the first place (now my 3rd Weber). But since I will probably take it on holiday (as the Go Anywhere is a bit small now as we tend to go in a big group), I decided on the compact as there's too much other crap to fill the car with already.

Thanks for the tip on the onlyfire. It's not available in the UK, but postage on Amazon is only another $16 to the UK, so might be a good option if the plancha doesn't work out.

Looking forward to trying it out!

Edit: I've just looked closer at your pics Mike. Is that the original grill on your Traveler? Are they not all cast iron? Also, is that a light on your handle? That might be a useful addition too!

I've always been a firm believer that charcoal is king, but having young kids put an end to mid week barbecues, so I bought a cheap copy of the traveler to do for mid week cooking when I don't have time to get a proper fire going. Ended up using it more and more. Mostly just for steaks, but I realised for most quick cooks, the flavour difference was minimal. Long cooks can't be replicated, even with a smoke box in my experience.

Anyway, the cheap one has failed after 3 years despite me looking after it, so I decided to go for the genuine one like I should have in the first place (now my 3rd Weber). But since I will probably take it on holiday (as the Go Anywhere is a bit small now as we tend to go in a big group), I decided on the compact as there's too much other crap to fill the car with already.

Thanks for the tip on the onlyfire. It's not available in the UK, but postage on Amazon is only another $16 to the UK, so might be a good option if the plancha doesn't work out.

Looking forward to trying it out!

Edit: I've just looked closer at your pics Mike. Is that the original grill on your Traveler? Are they not all cast iron? Also, is that a light on your handle? That might be a useful addition too!
The Traveler is really good quality and versatile. I’ve had mine for only about 8 month but I think it built to last a very long time. It is the only gasser I’ve ever owned after decades of cooking on charcoal kettles. I got it for quick cooks but I’ve used it for more.

The griddle plates especially have opened me up to new ways of cooking which have been really fun to explore. Flat side of griddle is also very easy to clean… just scrape large food/oil into the griddle holes followed by a wet paper towel over plates while hot. Sometimes I also run a paper towel damp with cooking oil over griddle to keep it seasoned and then let grill cool down.

Grill grates… I bought a set of Onlyfire stainless steel rod grates [$22] because I wanted to be able to quickly brush them clean using the same brush I use on my charcoal kettles. The SS prevents rust so I don’t feel bad I leaving the grill outside all the time. For those reasons, I haven’t actually used the CI grill grates that came with the grill. I do think the CI would do better job at grilling steaks than the SS grates. SS grates here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJD9DMLT/?tag=tvwb-20

Light on handle…. It’s a Weber Grill ‘N Go LED light intended for full size Weber grills. The handle on the Traveler has a smaller diameter so it took a few tries to figure out how to successfully adapt the light to fit. I landed on using a scrap silicon strip wrapped around handle that I cut from a large trivet. I shaped the rest of the trivet to cover the side table. See what I did here:
Post in thread 'Silicone mats for side shelf'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/silicone-mats-for-side-shelf.98228/post-1148017

The Traveler is really good quality and versatile. I’ve had mine for only about 8 month but I think it built to last a very long time. It is the only gasser I’ve ever owned after decades of cooking on charcoal kettles. I got it for quick cooks but I’ve used it for more.

The griddle plates especially have opened me up to new ways of cooking which have been really fun to explore. Flat side of griddle is also very easy to clean… just scrape large food/oil into the griddle holes followed by a wet paper towel over plates while hot. Sometimes I also run a paper towel damp with cooking oil over griddle to keep it seasoned and then let grill cool down.

Grill grates… I bought a set of Onlyfire stainless steel rod grates [$22] because I wanted to be able to quickly brush them clean using the same brush I use on my charcoal kettles. The SS prevents rust so I don’t feel bad I leaving the grill outside all the time. For those reasons, I haven’t actually used the CI grill grates that came with the grill. I do think the CI would do better job at grilling steaks than the SS grates. SS grates here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJD9DMLT/?tag=tvwb-20

Light on handle…. It’s a Weber Grill ‘N Go LED light intended for full size Weber grills. The handle on the Traveler has a smaller diameter so it took a few tries to figure out how to successfully adapt the light to fit. I landed on using a scrap silicon strip wrapped around handle that I cut from a large trivet. I shaped the rest of the trivet to cover the side table. See what I did here:
Post in thread 'Silicone mats for side shelf'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/silicone-mats-for-side-shelf.98228/post-1148017
The silicone mat is a great idea!

Back