Transporting old Genesis Silver B

LSuber

Hi guys, first post here. Have enjoyed reading quite a bit of great info before registering today.

I may be picking up an old Genesis Silver B in natural gas configuration to try a restore on. It'll be a Christmas gift for my dad if I can get it back in good shape. My first question is, can it be transported home laying flat on its back in the back of an SUV? I'm pretty sure it's too tall to go in upright. But putting it in long ways on its back may fit. Any reason not to do that, that I haven't thought of? And does anybody have the exact dimensions of that grill? I can measure the rear opening of the Jeep before going to look at it.

If I do pick it up, I'm certainly going to be back for some guidance on rehabbing it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Take a 7/16 wrench with you in case you need to break it down some.

You can borrow my car if you need to.

LOL...hoping an SUV will accommodate it, maybe with the lid off of it. Anybody have the dimensions, particularly depth front to back, and height ground to top of lid?

Don't have the measurements but wanted to welcome you to the forum. You will get a lot of good info here. Good luck with that rehab.

We've moved a bunch of Silver B's and 1000/3000's in the back of a Subaru Outback (a 2010...the bigger one). The trick we use is to remove the lid...2 cotter pins are all that's holding it on. Lid off, grates, flavorizers, and shelves off too and the grill slides in on its back. We've even moved an old Summit Silver like this.

I always bring an adjustable wrench, Phillips head, and a Leatherman when I'm picking something up...just in case.

Cool, I mostly wanted to be sure there's not something in the valves messed up by not being kept vertical. Supposed to pick it up this afternoon. From the pics I've been sent, it's pretty clean for a 2005 grill. Burners won't even have to be replaced, but I'll repaint the firebox and such.

If you can remove the bolt holding the grill head to the frame it makes transport MUCH easier. You may break the bolt but heck if you're gonna rebuild the grill anyway you'll have to deal with it anyway

You'll be fine. I've moved several in my Subaru Forester as well. Just like Kevin said, Be prepared to remove the lid and of course grates and bars (bring something to put them in, trash bag etc.) and your good to go. Depending on what SUV you have you might not even have to remove the lid. Good luck! Your Dad will love it!

We have a Hyundai Sport SUV and I've moved three of the 1000sand a silver B with no problems. Make sure to take a tarp to put down to protect the interior from any grease that may rub off.

Yep, I tossed a big tarp and a wrench set in the back before I left this morning. As long as its in the condition that it appears to be in the photos, I'll pick it up in a couple hours. Will come back and post some pics and start plotting strategy on the restoration once I give it a good look over.

Did you get the grill? How did the pick-up go? I've seen some older Genesis Grills on Craigslist for ~$100 and I've been very tempted to pick one up as I enjoyed cooking on the older design Genesis grills. I had to leave my Natural Gas Genesis I bought in 2001 back in Illinois as we are 100% propane around here.

I do have the grill! Pick-up went great, really nice guy to talk to. The grill appears to be in good shape overall. No significant damage that I can see. Needs a good cleanup. Flavorizer bars look like SS that might clean up well. Grates are SS but not solid, so may replace them. Burners look like they have some life left in them. I'll post pics of it as soon as I figure out how to.

I think I figured out photo posting. Pics of the grill as it was at pick-up. Haven't even hosed it off yet. Here goes....

So there it is. Any and all advice appreciated. Have not connected it to the gas line to confirm, but the seller said the ignitor worked when he last used it. Will check that and see.

Looking good, that should clean up nicely and it doesn't look like you are going to have to replace much, if anything. He is going to love the tables, I use mine all the time. The old 3 burner Genesis' are beasts. Mine will hit 600 in five minutes. Great find!

Glen, yours looks great! I drove five minutes from where I work for this one. Guy had it listed for probably two weeks at $95 and had no bites. Dropped the price by about half and I jumped. I'll get in to the cleanup in about a week. I'd like to pressure wash it.....can the inside be done with the burners in, or should they come out before I do that? It's clean enough that I may not totally break it down. If I can tape areas off for some painting, I can leave it mostly assembled.

Back