transferring new coals- mid smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the 4 years I used a Brinkmann Gourmet (which has handles on the middle section) I simply picked everything up off the charcoal pan, set it to the side, and added charcoal and/or dumped ashes, as necessary. I've added handles to the WSM, and that's the approach I'll use with it, too. If I was going to add coals through the door, though, I think it would be a simple matter to get some aluminum flashing and bend it into a "chute" that would let me pour the coals in through the door, rather than put them in one at a time with tongs. That seems faster, and probably safer, to me.

jeffr - you indicate that you added 1 chimney of unlit coals at 8:20 and then 25 minutes later you added 40 lit coals. I am curious why you added the 40 lit coals so shortly after adding the full chimney of unlit. Did the unlit ones not seem to be catching or was there some other reason? I appreciate your feedback, as I was thinking of doing a long cook, possibly this weekend and was thinking about adding unlit at the 12 hour mark. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back