Toyota Prius

Very impressive, Glad you're happy with it. Barb only has to drive about 8 miles round trip 3 or 5 days a week. The 4runner is two wheel drive and gets 19-20 going back and forth. I do use it for longer runs at least once a week to warm it up good. The thing just won't die or give any indication of doing so, with that said it stays, but if I outlive it (doubtful)l we will look at a used hybrid to replace it. Another Toyota of course.

The 4 runner is about the most reliable thing ever. And they hold their value so well. I have seen them being sold at many years old and with 250k, 350k some with nearly 500k miles and still everything original and still in perfect running condition. Economical? No (at least not for fuel) but for being basically the last vehicle you have to buy..............amazing. Oddly those short trips is exactly what a hybrid excels at

We just ordered that exact same car 2 weeks ago! Same color, and trim package. According to the dealer it should have rolled off of the assembly line on the 14th, and be here by the end of the month. We have a 2011 Toyota Prius, 3rd generation, we are trading in on the Rav 4. We really like the Prius but even with both of us retired, we are finding that we need more room. Mostly hauling grandkids. The dealer had a conventional Rav 4 in that ruby pearl red on the showroom floor. After seeing it there was no doubt about the color we wanted.

We had ordered an XLE but after thinking about it long and hard and figuring how rarely we ever see a brand new car to simply go for it and go big or go home. Oddly enough had we stepped down one model package and gone up one actual model thanks to better concessions from Toyota and the dealer we actually could have gotten another Highlander in Hybrid and XLE trim for the same or slightly less than this RAV4. But, we really didn't need another 3 row SUV

Larry,
I'm wondering why you didn't opt for the prime with the plug in option? That would have used almost no gas in your situation. Was it because of availability, or some other reasons?

The Prime sticker prices $10k higher than the regular across the board. As it was my car stickered at $42500. Never on my life did I EVER dream I would own a car with that kind of price tag. Thankfully due to almost $3k in concessions (since this was my 3rd car from the dealer and if you count my daughter's 2 our family has bought 5 cars there) the dealer gave me close to $2k and then I had the $1k rebate. That and VERY attractive financing the dealer was able to line up it made it "doable". But car for car my car in a Prime would have been $10k more and no concessions at all. Not only that because they're so scarce many dealers (though unsure of mine) are charging as much as ANOTHER $10 over sticker! But even if I just went with sticker it's not doable for me. I can buy A LOT of gasoline for that $10k (even more if you ad my wonderful governors state sale tax of over 7%!). Not only that PHEV and PIE vehicles in our wonderful state will have to pay an additional $1400 in license plate fees! It's definitely not worth the cost all the way around. Love the concept. But also all that only buys me 25 miles of range before it reverts to regular hybrid operation anyway

The Prime sticker prices $10k higher than the regular across the board. As it was my car stickered at $42500. Never on my life did I EVER dream I would own a car with that kind of price tag. Thankfully due to almost $3k in concessions (since this was my 3rd car from the dealer and if you count my daughter's 2 our family has bought 5 cars there) the dealer gave me close to $2k and then I had the $1k rebate. That and VERY attractive financing the dealer was able to line up it made it "doable". But car for car my car in a Prime would have been $10k more and no concessions at all. Not only that because they're so scarce many dealers (though unsure of mine) are charging as much as ANOTHER $10 over sticker! But even if I just went with sticker it's not doable for me. I can buy A LOT of gasoline for that $10k (even more if you ad my wonderful governors state sale tax of over 7%!). Not only that PHEV and PIE vehicles in our wonderful state will have to pay an additional $1400 in license plate fees! It's definitely not worth the cost all the way around. Love the concept. But also all that only buys me 25 miles of range before it reverts to regular hybrid operation anyway
That's weird. As I begin to research the 2021 prime I find about a 2k difference, but that's if you have the full federal tax rebate available to you. Also many states have their own rebates you can stack on top of that bringing the price gap even smaller. However that all does depend on rebates available to you. The 2021 models are claiming about 42 miles on electric only. Obviously the 2021 model is not abundant now but it has peaked my interest.

My volt is just too damn small. But I still end up doing more than 90% of my driving on x 30 mile battery range. I'm thinking the RAV4, even though it's still a small crossover would have better back seat space for the family. So now it has made the short list of possible next vehicle purchase for me. I'm a fan of the plug-in option after having owned one now. But I still can't talk myself into an all-electric just because I don't want those limitations. Hybrids are nice for fuel economy, but I really like the plug-in option if the range is good enough on electric only. The RAV4 prime checked enough boxes make me take it seriously.

Personally, I really miss driving my truck and the WK-15 (I think that was what it was designated) or workhorse, had my interest but it was supposed to be in production years ago and now has turned into vaporware. So I'm still waiting for a proper plug-in pickup option.

Edit:
I forgot, congratulations on your new car. Hoping it brings you many trouble free miles.

Here I would likely be penalized by my state. But, I am speaking of straight sticker to sticker. Nothing more. I don't include those elusive rebates. Just straight up $$$$ on what I have to write a check for every month. Also no concessions and so on. So really while I am sure the Prime version would be WAY cool to own and use financially it did not make sense for me to wait. I am sure by 2022 model year things will loosen up. But, while we were willing to hold off until 2021 model year release I did not want to be doing the full sticker dance. Whether it's 40 miles or 20 miles range hell even 100 miles range would not have been enough to offset that premium and such plus the $$$$ I am sure our good for nuthin guv WILL find a way to squeeze outta PHEV or EV owners. Honestly just for giggles and grins I filled it up Friday while at Costco and after running around for my 12 days ownership to that point just a hair over 3 gallons of gas. Had I done the same with the Highlander I just sold to daughter's SO I would have been putting 12 to 13 gallons in it. I call it a win. A BIG win!

Not that I wouldn't like a hybrid but I can buy a hell of a lot of gas for 40K+. Just driving two cars a little over 3000 miles in a year, it doesn't make economical sense in our situation. I also want to see if I can outlast that 4runner, odds are not good but I'm goin for it. ;)

financially it did not make sense
I can buy a hell of a lot of gas for 40K+. Just driving two cars a little over 3000
I've done the math on how long and how many miles it would take to break even on the price premium for phev VS gas and it does take a long time and many many miles. You almost have to get one because you want it and not because it saves money on gas. I personally wouldn't buy a new phev because many of them depreciate so severely in a short time. When the time comes for me I'll definitely be looking at what used ones are doing.

I doubt the Toyotas will depreciate much. Historically they hold value VERY well. I just sold my 2001 Highlander to my daughter's SO. I had bought it 6 years ago. I truly could have sold it again for within $400 of what I paid for it 6 years ago. I had offers for it. I offered it to him at a VERY cheap price though and he's loving it. He could most likely sell it for profit LOL. One thing I have learned is buy Toyota or Honda. They hold up and they hold value
As for price differential Hybrid to Gas on our RAV it was only $850 or so. At our rate of driving it will pay for itself (the differential) in under 2 years. If gas prices hold as now. If they go up substantially the payoff will be faster. The higher they go the faster my payoff. But if I look at the Prime version even if prices for fuel go over $4.00 per gallon the payoff would still outlive me as between no price incentives (in fact the opposite as dealers are selling them WAY over list) and then the $10k list price difference fuel would need to hit $20 a gallon LOL
So I am averaging well in excess of EPA estimates, the car performs wonderfully. Nothing to complain about. Also I should save on maintenance as 1. Toyota gives first 2 years or 25k miles free, and with things like regenerative braking brake pads are hardly used.
Honestly I am tickled with it. If I could swing it I'd buy a second one!
FWIW we were going to order the Prius Prime but the comfort level for our old bones was not there like the RAV was

Back