Toyota Prius

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So we have 2 Toyota Highlanders. The older one is just shy of 200k miles. I was kind of thinking perhaps looking into a Prius as we really don't need 2 relatively thirsty SUVs. I was thinking about the Prius Plug in as theoretically she would almost never need the gas engine. But the price penalty (if you can find one) is about $3500. On a regular Prius if the claims of 50mpg are actually true she'd only be using about 3 gallons of fuel a week as opposed to about 13 to 15 in the Highlander.
The question is though, in a northern climate do they really return this kind of efficiency? I don't know anyone with a late model one to ask so posing it here. Looking at the AWDe model as this way it still has the security of AWD but the economy of hybrid technology.
Anyway looking for thoughts on it

Since you’re not getting any responses I live in Florida. Our 2018 Camry has never been north of Raleigh NC. Mileage has ranged from 42 to 48. We rarely shut off the A/C. Not a cold weather report but gives you a data point.

Well we were at the dealer yesterday and we realized if we buy the Prius (as nice as it is) we would only be "tolerating" it. We looked at a RAV4 Hybrid and wife fell in love. Hard to come by though so we'll see if they get any in. About 5k more than the Prius BUT over the long haul of ownership and with aging bodies I think it's the better investment

Wish I could help you Larry, but now that we are into our 70's we are driving our last two cars. Barb drives the 2002 4runner back and forth to work and the 2014 Santa Fe hasn't been out of the garage in three weeks. total miles on the two cars last year was under 3000 miles, mostly doctor appointments :(
My next door neighbor has I believe a 2018 or 19 RAV4 hybrid and loves it. Gets high 30s to mid 40s.

Well we were at the dealer yesterday and we realized if we buy the Prius (as nice as it is) we would only be "tolerating" it. We looked at a RAV4 Hybrid and wife fell in love. Hard to come by though so we'll see if they get any in. About 5k more than the Prius BUT over the long haul of ownership and with aging bodies I think it's the better investment
When Sara said she wanted to replace her 12 yer old Camry with a Hybrid we drove a Prius first but she wanted a power passenger seat and only the Camry had it so she got a Camry. I got her to sit in the RAV4, which I love, but no power passenger seat. She quit driving as soon as we bought it and I really enjoy driving that car. I've been doing some reading and if you keep your car in the garage it should be OK up north. Otherwise the "car pros' say a conventional gas engine would be better. Of course you already know that so I don't know why I said it. Is it 2021 yet? 😁

Actually the Hybrids work pretty well regardless (of course the ONLY product of it's tye I would trust is Toyota). The people who REALLY suffer in our cold is Tesla owners. Since those "miraculous" batteries only get about 40% power in 20 deg and colder temps. Never mind when we get a polar vortex LOL. In the winter all I see is people at the Tesla charging stations either charging or waiting to charge. They're California cars not made for weather up here.
I view the car as an appliance. I want it to work well and be unobtrusive.

Actually the Hybrids work pretty well regardless (of course the ONLY product of it's tye I would trust is Toyota). The people who REALLY suffer in our cold is Tesla owners. Since those "miraculous" batteries only get about 40% power in 20 deg and colder temps. Never mind when we get a polar vortex LOL. In the winter all I see is people at the Tesla charging stations either charging or waiting to charge. They're California cars not made for weather up here.
I view the car as an appliance. I want it to work well and be unobtrusive.
Agree with the Toyota as being dependable, Barb had a 93 Camry for eight years and 169K when we traded it in, only problem we had with the car was the power antenna belt broke a $15 dollar 20 minute fix. Our 4Runner is 18 years old 202K everything works doesn't leak or consume any fluids. Built like a tank. Drives like a two year old car and gets reasonable mileage in the low 20s.

I also think the Japanese built Toyota products have a slight edge in quality over the American built ones. Another reason I tend to look more at the hybrids as they're built in Japan.

My Wife is on her second Hyundai Hybrid in the last 4 years. 1st one was used with low miles and she traded it in on a new one 2 yrs later.
Both cars sat outside during the winter and had zero problems starting.
I'm retired now and finally cleared out the garage enough to fit both our vehicles so come on Winter lol.
Ya got to watch those Hybrids tho. You can barely hear them when running, and my Wife left hers on one night and didn't notice it till the next day.
Dealer warned us of this same problem, basically because were both seniors.

Tim

I own a 2010 prius I wll average 50+ mpg in the fall and spring. In the winter i drop to 46 due to heating water for the heater. summer might drop some not a alot. 10 yrs old only repair has been one wheel bearing.

Yeah I have no doubt of their quality. I really like how Toyota perfected it. I know they did millions of miles of testing on that drive train before it ever saw the light of day for the general public. But truly after being in both the Prius and the Rav4 like I said we would only be "tolerating" the Prius. If we were 20/30 years younger might be different but then the Prius would not work because of carting kids around. We're going to to wait until the dealer gets either another 2020 Rav hybrid or a 2021 plug in version. If we go that route it will be our first new car since 1987!

This is right in my wheelhouse being in the business. Although I do Ford warranty work, I have been bullish on Toyota products for years! Had a 2010 and 2013 Prius and they are great, wife still wishes we had the 2013. We're not driving much any more either. Feeling the joints Larry, I fully agree with the Rav 4 hybrid thoughts. However in our business we always say lease new buy used. See if you can find a 2019 hybrid...first year new design

Thing is Toyota holds value so well, it's hard to justify the price point of used. Especially when you lose things like financing percs and so on. We haven't totally decided on lease not lease yet though leaning to purchase not lease. Especially given it's a long term thing. Given how little driving now I see no reason it can't be a 10+ year car

Leasing not really worth it any more, unless you absolutely have to. Right now savings would be on a 2 Y.O. model over a new one. I always let someone else pay for the depreciation. Rav is nice over a sedan due to being up higher. Kia and Hyundai have improved a lot and can be had for less. Forester is another good candidate, as is CRV. Driving less as I do now I wouldn't ever see the payback in going with a hybrid. Regular models pretty frugal now actually.

Leasing not really worth it any more, unless you absolutely have to. Right now savings would be on a 2 Y.O. model over a new one. I always let someone else pay for the depreciation. Rav is nice over a sedan due to being up higher. Kia and Hyundai have improved a lot and can be had for less. Forester is another good candidate, as is CRV. Driving less as I do now I wouldn't ever see the payback in going with a hybrid. Regular models pretty frugal now actually.
Like I posted earlier. We have not bought a new vehicle since 1987. We're thinking maybe it's time. Plus like I said when you throw in the incentives now, the great finance rates it actually costs more than buying new if you keep it long term. I am not fond of the Korean twins. After being in the rental car industry a couple years I saw they really don't hold up as well. Plus their hybrid models leave LOTS to be desired. Noisy and jerky to operate and long term reliability not good. No use for Subaru either. Constant breakage of interior parts, engines not good long term, no hybrid available. I would only buy Toyota or Honda. Because we're looking at hybrid the only marque I will consider is Toyota. They do it better than all the others combined. The system is so perfected it's nearly impossible to tell what's providing power unless you look at the display. They're really remarkable vehicles. Hell even Ford was so impressed with the Toyota Synergy Hybrid system they were buying it from Toyota. Sadly it was wrapped in a Ford so it had all the usual Ford issues. So we shall see. I really kind of wanted to go with the Rav4 Plus (plug in) but damn it's a $10k premium for that. At least with the regular hybrid it's only about $850 premium. With gasoline back on the rise that can be made up in no time

My current employer provided car is a 2020 Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid. It is an excellent car. Lots of room, comfortable, good in the snow and built for roadtrips. I average about 33 mpg in mostly city driving, yet it is not sluggish when you need to move. All the latest safety and convenience features.

33 mpg seems a little disappointing from a vehicle rated for 45. I could see a little variance, but over 10mpg seems a little extreme like over 20%. Of course I don't know how you drive it either. I am sure if you hammer on it a little more than the next guy it dips harder into the liquid fuel

Well we ordered a 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid today. We should have it sometime late August. Looking forward to first 3 to 4 years with nothing out of pocket, very low gas use. If anyone close to our area would like a REALLY clean 2001 Toyota Highlander LE with AWD, V6, leather and so on, let me know.

I drive the 405 Freeway every day for work... 2,300 + miles a month in a Ford F-150 and all I know is that Prius drivers are the worst
drivers on the road bar none. I'v been hit twice, both times being side swiped with minor damage to my truck as both drivers hit my
driver side front tire area.

Back