Tough skin on wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Barlow

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm use to tough skin on smoked chicken, but what do you do with wings? I did a batch the other night. It wasn't worth fighting the tough skin to eat the things.

Are you doing them at 300+?

I do chicken and turkey at 350 or higher if I can get it! Skin is nice, golden and crispy! Don't usually prefer wings, I like thighs and quarters...turkey in the breast form or the whole thing!

Me too--325+.
I've never had tough skin on chicken or turkey thighs,legs,or breast areas but have on wings. Regardless, unless my sister is present (who loves knawing on anything tough or chewy {like gristle,cartilidge,burnt ends}), I remove the wings and use them with the carcass to make stock.

I'd think wings would turn out pretty tough if smoked, better off grilled. Save the smoking for thighs IMO.

Thanks, that what I thought. Other pieces are fine. I just seem to get leather for wings. Oh well, I'll keep to the grill for that one.

My mistake, Howard. I thought you meant you smoked a batch of chickens the other night and wondered what to with the tough wings, hence my suggestion. I didn't realize you were speaking of a batch of wings.
Woops.

K

I smoked some wings a few weeks ago and they turned out good. I think I did them for 2 hours and then put them on my hot grill to crisp up. I put a buffalo sauce on them and chowed down.

Next time I think I'll just throw them under the broiler to crisp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back