Totally Trimmed Flats

Al Silverman

TVWBB Pro
I am going nuts trying to decide how to cook these totally fatless brisket flats. I usually can get pretty nice briskets from Costco, but lately all they are carrying are these totally trimmed ones.

After reading a couple of the recent threads concerning brisket cooking methods, I am on information overload, and need a concensus as to a prefered method to cook theese briskets.

There is no fat at all, so fat up or down is not an issue !! I have heard of people using bacon underneath the brisket and others using a foil pan. Anyone have a method that has given them good results with a "fatless brisket". Oh, almost forgot, They are USDA Choice so should have some fat internal.

Thanks

Al

The thick layer of fat on a brisket acts as a barrier and helps protect the meat from the heat. The fat within the meat, known as the marbling, is what gives the meat its moistness and flavor. You can throw some bacon on it. You may also want to think about cooking it on the lower rack. Although you'll burn more fuel trying to keep the bottom rack at temp compared to the top, cooking on the bottom rack does offer some thermal protection so long as you keep water in the pan. If it goes dry or if you use sand I would strongly recommend against this as the radiant hit of the sand/pan would defeat the purpose of trying to protect the meat to begin with.

At least they're 'Choice', a consolation that should help if the flats aren't too thin and the grader knew his stuff.

I'd cook on the upper grate (on the lower if under butts) with water in the pan and I'd cook at ~235 grate. If on the thin side I'd consider foiling after the meat had plateaued for a little while. If thick I'd foil at ~170 or not at all. I'd look to pull at 187-190.

Complain to Costco and find another source!

Btw, normally I don't flip, but since your flats are virtually naked save for the veil of rub you apply, you might consider a flip at ~170 and again when you pull to rest. And since you're in there a quick mop on both sides (perhaps butter-based with beef broth and/or a.j. and a little rub) couldn't hurt.

Kevin, I'm curious about your recommendation of cooking on the top grate. I prefer cooking on the top grate also, but have found a bit more protection when the meat is directly over the water pan. Please don't take this as a 'challenge' - you've got far more experience at this than I'll ever have. I'm just curious as to your experiences with the upper and lower grates.

Russ-

Though not your intention I'd welcome a challenge. Keeps me agile (if not exactly young)
icon_smile.gif

My experience is that unless the meat is close to the edge of the grate (and hence directly in the flow of heated air) the distance from the heat source to the upper grate is great enough not to cause a problem (with water cooks). The pan is a sufficient block. When I have sometimes seen evidence of a possible heat/drying problem is with tall meats (think turkey) that are closer to the upper vent when the cook is a high-heat one, not for low/slows nor not-so-tall meats. My recommendation for a upper grate cook is that I think that it is easier to judge and control temps from that level. That's my experience anyway. (But maybe it's just a mental thing!)

Al
In this case using thick cut bacon by placing it on the grate and the brisket on it would not be a bad plan, this allows the bacon to act as fat cap for your cook.

Russ
I find in long cooks the temp difference between top and bottom grate becomes almost nothing and does make it easier to flip meat if it is on top grate.
Jim

Thanks guys,

Probably should have mentioned that I run with a Guru so, hence, no water in the pan. Also the last brisket I did on the lower grate is now being used as a doorstop.

I think I'll use some bacon as a heatshield, flip it every couple of hours for smoke exposure, let it get to around 150°-160° and then put it in a foil pan with some liquid. Cover with foil and then pull at around 190°. Then a nice long rest on a cozy cooler. I would rather have it moist and a little "pot-roasty" then dry. I really hate dry brisket!!!!!

Jim,

You are right about flipping the meat on the bottom grate, especially if you have something on the top grate. I did 9 racks of baby backs last week and it was a real pain trying to juggle the racks while trying to flip and rotate them from top to bottom.

Back