Top Round (London Broil) Question

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
I'm thinking of using a 2.5 Lb top round - or London broil - cut of beef to make BBQ sandwiches with a recipe I came across yesterday (the author uses top loin in his original recipe); my question is, if I wrap the beef after smoking it to an internal temp of 160º-170º, and allow it to cook to 200º - as is called for in the original - will the end product result in a "shredable" (that a real word?) product, or something that might be more suitable for use as a suitcase handle?

I guess I'm not sure if all cuts of beef benefit from the 200º target temperature or it is just certain cuts...any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rooster

UPDATE: Injected the London Broil with a mixture of Worcestershire sauce and beef broth, rubbed with salt, pepper, & granulated garlic. Smoked @ 250 degrees to internal temp of 160 degrees, wrapped in aluminum foil, and cooked 'til it reached 205 degrees.

It did NOT shred like I thought it would - BIG disappointment - Soooo, I cubed it, tossed it in some No. 5 sauce, and served on buns topped with cole slaw - it wasn't like leather, and was somewhat tender - I'll probably do it again, given the flavorful results....

Regards,

Rooster

Thanks for the update.
I have been contemplating cooking some LB, but I was under the impression that any temp above MR would be tough.
I suppose LNS should tenderize it some.

Top round, as you found out, does not shred well. The grain of the meat is too fine. You need courser grained meat, as in blade or crossrib (to a lesser degree). However, once cooled, you can almost shave top round into very thin slices.

edit: it's interesting what some areas call different cuts of meat. Up here, London Broil is tenderized steak (top, bottom or even tip) layered with ground pork or italian sausage, then rolled up into a log and then sliced. Doesn't really interest me, but some people like it.

Last edited:
Top round is pretty lean so really doesn't benefit from low and slow to 200. I always do mine at 250-275 to medium rare, you get a nice even medium rare throughout.

Top round is pretty lean so really doesn't benefit from low and slow to 200. I always do mine at 250-275 to medium rare, you get a nice even medium rare throughout.

Yeah....what he said......although , it sounds like what you ended up with was kinda like burnt ends? You say they tasted pretty good? And not tough , huh? That surprises me. Glad it worked out for ya.

Last edited:
I did a LB a few weeks ago and cooked it to a nice medium rare and it was as tough as shoe leather. I still ate it but my jaw hurt :rolleyes: I have yet to find a good use for that cut. ... and yes, I cut it against the grain

I did a LB a few weeks ago and cooked it to a nice medium rare and it was as tough as shoe leather. I still ate it but my jaw hurt :rolleyes: I have yet to find a good use for that cut. ... and yes, I cut it against the grain
I cut it very thin, very flavourful and makes great sammies.

Back