Tools I Like

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
OK, I am learning to understand a little about winter and why this board slows down so much this time of year. I have a little space heater in my shop, though, so I am still doing the little bit I can despite the onset of tax season and still many issues leftover from our move here.

Anyway, while I was working on a few small steps, I thought of posting about a few of the tools that I really like. I thought it might generate some discussion and suggestions. Keep in mind that I am a CPA and not a guy who has worked with tools all his life. So, my purchases tend to be Harbor Freight and probably reflect being a rank amateur!

First up is my admittedly cheap "China - I mean Chicago - Electric" cut-off tool. Yes, I took the guard off and realize that isn't the safest plan. But to get into tight spots - an almost constant need - the guard just doesn't work. I wear thick gloves and thick eye shield and/or a face shield. Also a mask since more metal dust flies around than what I would have thought.

Cut Off Tool with Milwaukee wheel.jpeg

I like this tool because it is small, light and the only solution to many rust-frozen on bolts and screws. I am not very professional, but I am slowly getting more precise with it. I have always used the cheap "Warrior" wheels. They desolve very quickly and the idea of them breaking apart led me to try a more expensive Milwaukee wheel you see here. I have only used once, so the jury is not in yet. However, it seemed to work a lot better and held up well. Harbor Freight does sell a better line of cut-off wheels, so I may try them next time.

Next in line are these specialty pliers:

Doyle Water Pump Pliers.jpeg

These are HF's Doyle "Water Pump" pliers. They are a knock-off of some really fine tools made by Knipex. Still, for the price (especially after 20% or 25% off for which they ARE eligible) these things perform very closely and represent a great deal. They are solid and feel like good quality to me. All of my Doyle pliers seem to me to be a significant cut above and should not be confused with low-end plier sets HF shows for next to nothing in their ads.

These things really come in handy for gripping bolts that are too rounded for sockets and other applications requiring a strong grip.

Another tool that is needed often, of course, are screw drivers. I have a few sets, but these two are my favorites:

Quinn and Fat Max Screw Drivers.jpeg
The Stanley "FatMax" screwdrivers get little respect as being just "homeowner" grade. All I can say is that they have the best hand feel of any that I have used. Then there are these Harbor Freight "Quinn" screwdrivers. Don't confuse these with the large set they sell of Quinn. This set is a little bit better and alleges to have diamond reinforced points. Again, you pro guys will probably be laughing. They are lightweight, but I still like how the feel and - the main thing - they work better on rusty screws than any other screwdrivers I have tried. That is probably their #1 virtue.

This better Quinn set does not include a large straight or Philips screwdriver. You can remedy that with this pair of Doyle "demolition" screwdrivers:

Doyle Demolition Screwdrivers.jpeg

These are pretty stout screwdrivers. Their big selling point is that they have metal caps so you use a hammer to drive them. The flat one can pop off stuck caps, etc. Another use is to try and deepen the lines in an old screw head. I admit I haven't had a lot of experience doing that, but these would have the heft to try it.

Sometimes you just want to use a "regular" set of pliers. These Doyle pliers are the nicest I have ever used. Way better than my old Made in USA Craftsman. I think they are actually comparable to offerings from MAC and Snap-On, but I am not an expert. They feel very solid and tight but are still maneuverable.

Doyle Pliers.jpeg

I am hardly any "mechanic" but I have accumulated a few sets of sockets. I tried a cheap flat organizer from HF and hated it. I really wanted the type shown below, but even at HF the price slowed me down. I found these at Rural King. I love how they work. Easy to see what you are getting. Some complain that the little prongs can break. I am sure that is true, but I try to treat things like this with some care. I like them.

Socket Tray.jpeg

Sockets need wrenches. I have a few all relatively inexpensive ones. I don't think grill restoration warrants Snap-On or even HF's knock-off "Icon" wrenches. I personally really like the Pittsburgh PRO coated wrenches. I have several. They don't scratch your grill parts and are easy to grip. I have a 3/8 one with an impact rated 7/16 socket that stays in it. It gets the first call on my Weber disassembling and assembling.

Pittburgh Pro coated socket wrench.jpeg

I have several DeWalt 20 volt cordless tools. They are OK, but I am not sure I wouldn't have been better off with a different brand. But I am in too deep with batteries and chargers to switch. One recent purchase that I really like - even though it has limited grill applications - is this small size saw. It worked like a charm cutting my pegboard - a type of job where it excels - and it can handle small boards, too.

DeWalt compact saw.jpeg

There are certainly other critical tools like a vice, drills, etc. These are just some that came to mind that I thought I would share. So what tools do you like - and why?

Last edited:
Nice hoard of tools. I am not going to go through my garage and take photos of my tools. Too cold for that.
I have a lot similar tools to you Jon. Grinders, sanders, saws, etc.... Many of mine are of various brands and some are 30 years old and older. Tools were just made better back then and a lot came from auctions, some from my father and the rest I acquired over the years. I have a lot of HF stuff along with a good selection of Craftsman sockets and wrenches. I bought a 200 piece Husky socket set (all sockets) last year from Home Depot. But, I have also purchased several 7/16" spare sockets. They are by far the most common bolt and nut size on a weber grill. I am constantly misplacing them but I usually always have one in one of my drill drivers on the grill tool cart.
But, probably my best tool that I own for grill work is my Rockwell Jawhorse.

PS: I had one of those battery circular saws by Craftsman. It was very light duty. It would cut a 2x4 but it would bog if you went too fast and it ate the batteries. It's in the landfill now.

I have several DeWalt 20 volt cordless tools. They are OK, but I am not sure I wouldn't have been better off with a different brand. But I am in too deep with batteries and chargers to switch.

Definitely a rabbit hole I have avoided for the most part. With the exception of a Porter Cable drill and a cheapo from HF, everything I have is still the old fashioned corded variety- mostly from HF as well. I had a few B & D tools cordless tools about 10 years ago or so, but the batteries eventually wear out, and when you try to replace them, they are obsolete- as they are always introducing new models, new voltages, and nothing is compatible from brand to brand, or even the same brand after a few years. My 36 year old Skilsaw still plugs into the wall and works fine. Gotta admit that I really like all the fancy cordless items that Milwaukee tools offers though, Those would match rather nicely with a few of my red grills. :)

I do like my cordless tools. I think they have come a long ways in power and durability. I can’t imagine doing all the hurricane shutters- up and back down - I had to do over the last 4 or 5 years without them. But it is true that batteries are expensive and wear out. Then there is the obsolescence issue you mentioned.

If I were starting from scratch, I might still use DeWalt, but Milwaukee would be one of the top contenders.

I have been very pleased with Bosch tools as well. I too am well into them having the 18v line and the smaller/lighter 12V line as well. Oddly I find myself nearly always going to the 12V ones as they're just so easy to handle, the batteries charge fast and being compact they fit into places better

I do like my cordless tools. I think they have come a long ways in power and durability. I can’t imagine doing all the hurricane shutters- up and back down - I had to do over the last 4 or 5 years without them. But it is true that batteries are expensive and wear out. Then there is the obsolescence issue you mentioned.

If I were starting from scratch, I might still use DeWalt, but Milwaukee would be one of the top contenders.
I have mostly Ridgid battery tools now. I had Craftsman and B&D before. The Ridgid are way above those. The good thing about Ridgid is their LSA. Lifetime Service Agreement. It is essentially a lifetime warranty, but gives them the option to "fix" your tool if something goes bad on it. If not, they replace it. LIFETIME OF YOU. It even includes batteries. So, if a battery dies, they exchange it for a new one. Since they keep updating the tools, you usually wind up getting a new model of the tool back.
There are some nuances of the policy that people seem to disregard and that is that the tools have to be registered properly which is really easy to do online. People neglect to do this and then complain when they won't honor the warranty and blame Ridgid. I have yet to need to take anything in, but you can take them back to dealers (Home Depot) or do it through the mail direct to Ridgid.
So, if you want a battery powered angle grinder and are worried about burning it up by doing grill boxes, you can get a Ridgid and if you do burn it up, just take it back. As long as you haven't dropped it and broke it or misused it, then they will fix or exchange it with a new one. They use 18V batteries and have for many years and will continue for many more. They are all compatible with all their tools and pretty much have to be due to the lifetime warranty.

I have been very pleased with Bosch tools as well. I too am well into them having the 18v line and the smaller/lighter 12V line as well. Oddly I find myself nearly always going to the 12V ones as they're just so easy to handle, the batteries charge fast and being compact they fit into places better
I have mostly Ridgid battery tools now. I had Craftsman and B&D before. The Ridgid are way above those. The good thing about Ridgid is their LSA. Lifetime Service Agreement. It is essentially a lifetime warranty, but gives them the option to "fix" your tool if something goes bad on it. If not, they replace it. LIFETIME OF YOU. It even includes batteries. So, if a battery dies, they exchange it for a new one. Since they keep updating the tools, you usually wind up getting a new model of the tool back.
There are some nuances of the policy that people seem to disregard and that is that the tools have to be registered properly which is really easy to do online. People neglect to do this and then complain when they won't honor the warranty and blame Ridgid. I have yet to need to take anything in, but you can take them back to dealers (Home Depot) or do it through the mail direct to Ridgid.
So, if you want a battery powered angle grinder and are worried about burning it up by doing grill boxes, you can get a Ridgid and if you do burn it up, just take it back. As long as you haven't dropped it and broke it or misused it, then they will fix or exchange it with a new one. They use 18V batteries and have for many years and will continue for many more. They are all compatible with all their tools and pretty much have to be due to the lifetime warranty.

Both Bosch and Ridgid would also be top contenders for me, if I were starting over. I didn't know that about Ridgid as far as that generous warranty; that would be a big selling point. I had a Ridgid large cordless drill from at least ten years ago that I liked very well. My organization bought new, hi-amp batteries for it, so I left it behind for them. After that many years, it still runs like a champ, just losing some of the rubberized handle coating. By the time I left Florida, I had already jumped on the DeWalt train. Like I said before, I like the DeWalt tools OK. I am just not sure I would choose them first if looking to buy several tools now.

Larry, I also agree with you that there are plenty of jobs where a smaller, lighter 12V tool is still the best choice. I noticed that Harbor Freight, while extoling their 20V Hercules tools has also brought out a line of 12V Hercules tools.

Yeah I would say I use my 12V tools maybe 80% of the time. But when you want the horsepower those Bosch 18V tools REALLY bring it. My 18V 1/2" impact can rip the nuts off my Chicago Pneumatic CP734H air impact and no hose to drag around. I am honestly thinking about dumping my air tools completely except for my SnapOn Air Chisel and I have never seen a small electric one and it's over 50 years old too.

John,
That Dewalt mini-saw looks pretty neat, what do you use that thing for?

For my cordless power tools, 18V it's Ridgid and for 12V I have the Milwaukee M12 Fuel.
Mainly got into those lines because Home Depot often runs sales on those and every now and then you can get some items on great clearance prices.
Ridgid's LSA is really nice.....lifetime service agreement feels good to have.

The Milwaukee M12 is my go to though. It's so small and compact and still packs a nice punch.
If you happen to have a M12 Impact, I highly recommend ordering this 3D printed bit holder. It's so nice having the storage for 4 extra bits right there on the drill.

20210106_184922.jpg

For tearing down old grills, the tool that always saves the day is my Vice Grip locking pliers. So nice to grip down on and hold one of those round heads that keeps spinning.

Bench grinder is also nice to have to freshen up an old bolt before reinstalling. I have an 8" Dewalt and have the grinding stone on one side and wire wheel on the other side. I used to have a WEN brand bench grinder and it was a pile of :poop:

Bench Vise is also very handy. I've got a decent sized 5" Yost vice and it sure is helpful whenever you need an extra hand and no one is around.

I used to be like Jon and have a toolbox full of Harbor Freight cheapo tools. I'm slowly replacing them with nicer ones whenever I find good deals on them. Wiha is a brand that I've bought a lot of recently, mainly due to sales that I've happened to jump on. I have some Whia screwdrivers and a set of their "Water Pump" pliers and they are very nice. It's good to have a second set of tools to have laying around for whenever a neighbor asks me to borrow a tool.

I also have a few of these Husky 12-in-1 screwdrivers around the house and keep one in the car....very handy to have so I don't have to always walk out to the garage.

Last edited:
Kyle,

That bit holder is one really sweet idea!

The first two cordless tools I purchased (back in 1994 I think) were a Makita drill/screwdriver and a Makita small saw somewhat similar to the DeWalt one I posted. The batteries were twice the size of today's, but those Makitas were a huge advance at the time. I used the daylights out of that saw. Partly because I didn't have a whole lot of other options but also because it was maneuverable and more forgiving than a larger circle saw.

That old Makita was smaller and could get into tighter spaces than my new DeWalt, but I still like this tool for small cutting jobs or something thin like the pegboard I mentioned. It certainly can cut through plywood without issue. Whether I would use it or my full size saw would depend on the situation.

I hear you about HF tools. I had some of those really cheap Pittsburgh hand tools that I bequeathed to my younger son who doesn't use tools virtually at all. But I have found the Doyle pliers I showed to be as good as anything I could hope for. If they said "Snap-On" I wouldn't think I had been scammed. I admit, though, that my experience is obviously limited. I would like to buy a pair of Knipex water pump pliers in the medium size between the two HF ones I have, if for no other reason but to see how much difference there really is.

I'm in the middle of moving my tools/toolbench from my basement to my "shed". I have a few tools that are ones my dad had. A good set of vice grips are good to have around. Dad had me turning wrenches and working on trucks and tractors when I was about 12, but I rarely turn a wrench anymore.

I did buy a small disc grinder this year for lawn more blade sharpening. Not sure what else I'll use that for but at least I can get my mower blade really sharp, really fast. I also like that smell from grinding the steel - brings back memories of dads shop and welding projects gone-by. I should have upgraded my electrical service in my house to handle a small welder.

Keep the observations coming! At this time of low grill activity it is fun to have something to share and learn about.

A topic I really can get into...tools.

First up I'll post a something I never though I'd like as much as I do, my battery powered, brushless Milwaukee M12 Fuel tools.

My first experience with cordless tools dates back to 1998 when I first bought my Home and I started to buy tools for Home repairs. Being a Auto Mechanic at the time I had a pretty extensive collection of tools, but needed Home Owner tools.

I bought my first cordless tool, a Makita 12 volt drill. That POS would die 10 minutes into the job and had zero power, God I hated that thing and was glad when it finally died. I replaced that with a corded 3/8" Dewalt Drill and after I burned that up mixing concrete I bought a corded 1/2" Bosch drill that will twist your arm off.
I then swore off Battery powered tools and only bought corded tools for the job. Sure it was a pain running an extension cord, but I had plenty of power and unlimited run time.

Fast forward to 2019. I needed a Hammer Drill for all the drilling into brick and concrete I was doing and had read great reviews of the Milwaukee 2504-20 M12 1/2" Hammer Drill. Remembering my disdain of my past Makita 12 volt purchase I wasn't expecting much. I couldn't be more wrong, this thing is fantastic! Light, plenty of power, long run times, and quick charges. This Milwaukee really opened up my eyes.

I recently purchased the 2554-20 3/8" Impact Wrench and it breaks loose the lug nuts on my cars like it was nothing and has over 250 foot pounds of torque.

I also purchased the 2475-20 Compact Inflator and it is great not to have to fire up my Air Compressor to put air in the tires or inflate a Pool Float. Just toss a battery in it, set the psi, and the inflator stops when it reaches that set psi.

Here they are along with the spare M12 batteries on my storage rack-

cFtrXKH.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
I have Bosch but am very happy with those. Honestly I could have easily gone for Milwaukee. Just that I fell into a deal and since I had both 18V LiIon and 12v versions I just stayed with Bosch. I have a large 18V 1/2" impact that literally tears the lugs off my cars. It'll out do my Chicago Pneumatic CP734H air tool. I rarely ever fire up my compressor anymore except for my small angle grinder and small cutoff tool. And of course the obligatory air nozzles. So I still have 2 compressors. A larger one in the garage and a small 6 gal one in my basement shop. Though I am thinking seriously of putting that in the basement and plumbing it up to the garage. Would be quieter and cleaner

A topic I really can get into...tools.

First up I'll post a something I never though I'd like as much as I do, my battery powered, brushless Milwaukee M12 Fuel tools.

My first experience with cordless tools dates back to 1998 when I first bought my Home and I started to buy tools for Home repairs. Being a Auto Mechanic at the time I had a pretty extensive collection of tools, but needed Home Owner tools.

I bought my first cordless tool, a Makita 12 volt drill. That POS would die 10 minutes into the job and had zero power, God I hated that thing and was glad when it finally died. I replaced that with a corded 3/8" Dewalt Drill and after I burned that up mixing concrete I bought a corded 1/2" Bosch drill that will twist your arm off.
I then swore off Battery powered tools and only bought corded tools for the job. Sure it was a pain running an extension cord, but I had plenty of power and unlimited run time.

Fast forward to 2019. I needed a Hammer Drill for all the drilling into brick and concrete I was doing and had read great reviews of the Milwaukee 2504-20 M12 1/2" Hammer Drill. Remembering my disdain of my past Makita 12 volt purchase I wasn't expecting much. I couldn't be more wrong, this thing is fantastic! Light, plenty of power, long run times, and quick charges. This Milwaukee really opened up my eyes.

I recently purchased the 2554-20 3/8" Impact Wrench and it breaks loose the lug nuts on my cars like it was nothing and has over 250 foot pounds of torque.

I also purchased the 2475-20 Compact Inflator and it is great not to have to fire up my Air Compressor to put air in the tires or inflate a Pool Float. Just toss a battery in it, set the psi, and the inflator stops when it reaches that set psi.

Here they are along with the spare M12 batteries on my storage rack-

cFtrXKH.jpg

Jeff
Nice rack! I've got to build one of those one day. Mine are all scattered around my tool bench.
Home Depot has had some crazy good deals lately on the M12 line. I've been building up my collection.

Pretty good deal on the stapler here:

Last edited:

Back