took pulled pork up to 200 degrees...

Rob

TVWBB Fan
didn't wake up in time, and pork went to 195 in one, 200 in another and 205 in another... Are they ruined?

No, you should be good. Quite a number of recipes out there call for yanking the butt at around 195 to 200 and then foil it for about 45 min to one hour. When I do them, I'm ususally in the 195 to 200 range and I find they are right at the easy shred point. It's still quite moist, and very tender. IMO that's your target temp.

I think you should be fine. 200 is nothing to be afraid of with butts. If you are skeptical, just send them to me and i'll tell you if they were any good.

Rob, I've done butts to 208'F many times without problems... I actually like em over 200'F for pulling.
So, you'll be ready to pull those in another hour or so.
Hope you slept good
icon_biggrin.gif

I just had the same thing happen. did an 11 pounder overnight and thought it wouldn't be done until noon. Checked it at 7am and the temp was 195 - 205 in different places. thing fell apart when I tried to pick it up. Let it rest and then pulled it. I thought it might be a tad overdone but after it cooled down it was not so mushy. My boy and his pals ate 4 pounds of it for lunch before I took it away so they wouldn't eat it all.
icon_smile.gif

You mean you're not supposed to pull it off at 200
icon_wink.gif
. I'm with Mike, you can send that to me too if you are at all concerned about it
icon_biggrin.gif

Don't worry about a thing... It's pork butts which are probably the most forgiving of all cuts. 190, 200, heck even 21o-221 you'll be fine. Remember that were BBQing here and not doin brain surgery!
icon_smile.gif
Its all good!

Back