TOO MUCH smoke ..

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Man I tried something new today. I was runing low on fuel so I added some very ;arge hickory chunks thinking that would be ok as a fuel source.

NOOOOO.. my ribs are smoke-o-rama. Hopefully the butts will be better since obviously there is a lot more meat not exposed to the smoke.

P.S. Did this much closer to the end of the cook when I assumed the ribs would not be "absorbing" anymore smoke. Ehh not so much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason B:
Man I tried something new today. I was runing low on fuel so I added some very ;arge hickory chunks thinking that would be ok as a fuel source.

NOOOOO.. my ribs are smoke-o-rama. Hopefully the butts will be better since obviously there is a lot more meat not exposed to the smoke.

P.S. Did this much closer to the end of the cook when I assumed the ribs would not be "absorbing" anymore smoke. Ehh not so much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear about that. Meat will absorb as much smoke as you give it no matter what point of the cook you do it.

For some reason that myth gets repeated often. As the meat temp rises the smokering formation stops, but the smoke flavor will still be there.

Yeah ..the butts turned out excellent. Gotta love such a forgiving piece of meat. Everyone liked the ribs but me. I guess striving for that perfect product is part of this game.

Speaking of games, heck of a super bowl!

A couple of years before I got my WSM I was smoking some ribs on the ECB. I had gotten my hands on some hickory chips out of our chipper. They probobly weren't dry yet. Anyhow I had used a sandwich bag and filled it about half full of chips and filled with water for about an hour. I am thinking I did that again sometime during the smoke but can't remember for sure. After six hours on the cooker and the first bite I was ready to throw them in the trash. I kind of wish I would have. I still can't use hickory because of that one cook. I tried 1 chunk last summer on some ribs and didn't really taste it, so I tried 2 chunks on the next cook and it was really too much. I pretty much avoid hickory anymore.

If you are going to switch to wood for fuel for any reason, in any significant quantity in the WSM I believe you would need to let the wood burn down to coals before adding to the ring. As wood lights you will get a lot of black or white smoke and soot. This soon settles out to a blue white almost invisible smoke which is what you want and will not overpower things. Even in wood smokers or horizontal/SFB cookers you light a load of sticks/wood and develop a coal base you don't start the fire and load the food. You then add additional sticks/wood a little at a time to maintain temps.

My opinion.

Back