Too Much Fat

Mark Godfrey

I cooked two racks of spareribs today and they sucked.They were on for 4 1/2 hrs at 250deg. They were full of fat when we ate them. This is the first time in awhile that I have cooked pork on my WSM because of that very reason. The last time I did a pork butt and when I went to pull it, it almost made me sick. It was full of jelly like fat. Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am following the times and temps exactly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Godfrey:
I cooked two racks of spareribs today and they sucked.They were on for 4 1/2 hrs at 250deg. They were full of fat when we ate them. This is the first time in awhile that I have cooked pork on my WSM because of that very reason. The last time I did a pork butt and when I went to pull it, it almost made me sick. It was full of jelly like fat. Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am following the times and temps exactly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, I would think that 4 1/2 hours for spares is way, way to short. My spares usually take 6-7 hours (unfoiled) assuming temps stay 225-250.

You don't specify how long your cooking your butts for but I'm going to assume your having the same problem. Bone in butts usually take between 12-14 hours for me (~8lbs, no foil, no high heat) to get to 190-205.

I've never had either situation occur. Your cook time and temp for spares does not sound right. I routinely cook mine in the 7 hour range. You didn't describe how you cook butts, I can only guess that they are not on the cooker long enough to render the fat. I'm sure others will chime in and educate us both.

I have too agree. The spares weren't on long enough. I really like the toothpick test to see if they are done. The toothpick should go into the meat like it's warm butter.

As for the Butt I have to say the same. I did a 8 lbs Butt yesterday. 16.5 hours the meat was 204 degrees and it felt as if I tugged on the bone it just about come out easily. I use a Thermapen to check the temp. If you don't have one I would get one. Gives you the temp of the meat within seconds. That way you take the lid off check the temp and get the lid right back on.

I did some spares yesterday too. They do tend to have more residual fat than baby backs, which I smoke more often.

Your smoke time can vary a lot, but spares typically benefit from at least 7 hours. I took mine off at 6 1/2, probably could have stayed on for a while longer.

For butts, a lot of people like to cook them higher and hotter, I like 16+ hours at 250. There won't be a lot of residual fat globs hanging around after that.

I cut a lot of the fat off of a butt before the cook. I not only cut off the fat cap, I get any other major fat deposits that are easy to get to without tearing up the butt. I will admit though that I got a little too aggressive on the last butt I did but no big deal, I just tied it up to pull it back together. Cooked it for about 16 hours and there wasn't much fat to clear out when pulling.

That being said, if you pull pork, you have to deal with fat. If fat makes you sick, you might want to consider another hobby. I admit that I wouldn't want to eat any of the fat, but I spend a fair amount of time pulling and I'm left with some really good eating. My pulled pork has a lot less fat in it (virtually none) than a typical BBQ restaurant.

Thanks for all the replies.Do you guys cook baby backs as long as you cook spare ribs? Jerry, when I said "it almost made me sick" I meant sick because of all the time that I had put into it and it was pretty much garbage.But it sure didn't look very appetizing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Godfrey:
Thanks for all the replies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would focus on getting the spares right and forget about backs. Find what doneness test works for you - the toothpick test, tear test, bend test, or temperature test. You'll soon know just by look, color, and sweat when to start testing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scott hares:
Thanks for all the replies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would focus on getting the spares right and forget about backs. Find what doneness test works for you - the toothpick test, tear test, bend test, or temperature test. You'll soon know just by look, color, and sweat when to start testing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Scott. I don't think you were done. Fat had not rendered out. Are you cooking by time/temp? You should only use them as a guide and cook till done. For butt a butter knife or skewer should pass through with little to no resistance, for ribs same thing as a skewer is passed though the meet between two ribs.

Others have different techniques for testing done, but they would be looking for the basically the same thing.

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am following the times and temps exactly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You kind of answered your own question here. You really do have to forget about times and temp with BBQ, time and temp are nothing more than a rough guide so you can guesstimate when it'll be time to eat. You'll have to learn how to test for doneness, and then take them off when the test says their done and not when enough time has passed that they "should be" done.

To test spare ribs for doneness I prefer the toothpick test mentioned above. Just cook them until the toothpick goes in with little to no resistance, with practice you'll learn just what it should feel like for the results you want. There are other ways though that are just as good.

Back