Too Hot to Bake

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
No sense turning on the oven when we can bake outside.

Cook #1: Chicken Fingers. BSCB sliced into fingers, rolled in seasoned flour, eggwash, then covered in Panko mixed with Montreal Chicken and sprayed down with oil. In the middle of the Genesis with the front and rear burners going.

1089ca68.jpg

71f65196.jpg

e9ed358c.jpg

887da76d.jpg

Tonight's cook was a Costco pepperoni pizza on the WSM. We also added 1.5 jalapenos, 0.5 red peppers, a small onion and a few cloves of garlic run through the mini-mandolin. I always wanted to try it, and it was definitely successful but I'll make a few changes next time: a longer pre-heat, no unlit coals in the chamber (too much smoke) and possibly no water pan.

2499bd31.jpg

I ended up using the kettle lid to get more heat to the top of the pie.

3f9a7fc5.jpg

46121b25.jpg

225553a1.jpg

398a2ac1.jpg

Sorry for the iPhone pics, but it's nearly too hot to eat let alone take pictures while you're cooking. Thanks for looking!

What a great idea for the pizza. Can you tell me how much charcoal, temp? I noticed you had the door upside down to increase the air intake. Thanks!!!!

Originally posted by Rolf Jacobsen:
What a great idea for the pizza. Can you tell me how much charcoal, temp? I noticed you had the door upside down to increase the air intake. Thanks!!!!

Good eye! I needed more heat. I'd suggest trying a full chimney to get to at least 350. I didn't use enough nor did I wait long enough to preheat, and my crust got a little dry before it got crisp.

Jon, that pizza looks perfect to me. Chicken too.

For the 'za, what temp did you get to and how long did it take?

Originally posted by Mark Skeet:
Jon, that pizza looks perfect to me. Chicken too.

For the 'za, what temp did you get to and how long did it take?

That pizza was on for over 20 minutes. Like I said, I need to preheat more next time.

The WSM lid thermometer was around 300 when I flipped the door and switched to the kettle lid. No clue what it got to after, but definitely much higher.

Hot dang that all looks great Jon!

I hear you about the heat, today will be our 9th straight day at or above 100

Back