Too Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When it gets colder outside I assume the temp inside the WSM goes down also. With a full ring and all vents 100% open, I can't get mine over 270 on the top grate and most of the time not over 230 (even when the outside temp is 85 and the humidity is 80).

I don't want to right now, but how do I get/keep my magic box temp up? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Note the temp setting shown below! (copied from:
http://www.bbqlodge.com/tbreast/tbreast.htm )

"Smoked Turkey Breast

This was my first attempt at cooking some turkey in the Weber Smokey Mountain. I didn't feel like doing a whole turkey so I opted for one of those turkey breast only packages from the local grocery chain. This one weighed in at 7.3 pounds pre-cook weight.

The turkey breast section has been rinsed and excess fat trimmed off.

Using poultry shears, I cut down the middle of the breast bone to split the breast cage into two pieces. I also cut out remnants of rib bones left attached. The turkey breasts are immersed in a cooled brine then covered and put into the fridge. Later, I will turn the breasts for even soaking.

I used my Brine Recipe #1. After about 16 hours in the fridge, the turkey breasts are removed from the brine, then a quick rinse with cold water and dried with paper towels. Next I rubbed the turkey breasts with peanut oil then sprinkled a light dusting of Wild Willy's rub on the turkey breasts. Massage the Wild Willy's rub into the peanut oil.

For resting I use 3 to 4 layers of foil, top and bottom, to prevent heat loss.

Cooking Record

Time BG TG Lid Vent Comment

BG=Bottom Grate temp. TG=Top Grate temp. Lid=Lid temp. Vent is the setting of each bottom vent.
The top vent is always open 100%.
1:35 PM 100% Assemble the WSM. 3/4 ring of charcoal with some white oak chunks. Fill the water pan. Air temp is 32*
TG Vents
1:55 PM 215* 100% Temperature check.
2:10 PM 237* 100% Temperature check.
2:30 PM 264* 100% Temperature check. TG thermometer connected
2:44 PM TG 255* Lid 271* 100% Turkey breasts go on. BG thermometer is connected. Air temp is 36*.
3:35 PM BG248* TG251* Lid275* 100% Temperature check. Took one pic. See Pic #10 above.
4:35 PM 264* 276* 305* 100% Add 1 qt. of water. Spray both breasts with apple juice.
5:05 PM 281* 302* 329* 50% Add 3 small pieces of hickory. Spray top turkey breast with apple juice. Internal temp of the top breast is 160*.
5:30 PM 277* 312* 334* 50% Add 1 qt. of water. Spray top breast with apple juice.
5:45 PM 249* 300* 320* 0% Turkey breasts are done. Internal temp of the top breast is 190*. 190* is way to high.

6:00 PM After resting for 15 minutes one of the turkey breasts is sliced for dinner. The breast should have rested longer but everyone wanted to eat now.
Even though the top breast reached an internal temp of 190*; it was not dry. Brining helped prevent it from drying out from my over cooking.

Post Cook Thoughts

Sesame Oil On some other turkey breasts that I cooked on the WSM; I rubbed the turkey breasts with Sesame oil. I liked the flavor.

Skin The skin was very soft. More so than the skin of a chicken cooked on the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. A brief time in a very hot oven might crisp the skin or cooking at higher temperatures in the WSM might help.

If you want to get the pit temps up there are a few ways to make it happen, one remove the waterpan. Two a waterpan without any water in it and three use more fuel.
Jim

Lump get you more heat than briquettes. Also are you using the classic Blue and White Kingsford Briquettes? Started in a Weber brand Chimney? Yes folks it does work better than the other chimneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back