Tonys Memorial Day 2008 Cook

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Ok all, I will be updating this post all day Sunday as I cook for Memorial Day. I am cooking brisket, Baby Backs, Brats, Mac & Cheese, Fresh Homemade Cole Slaw and Green beans.

God bless all the men and women who serve to protect our feedoms as a nation!

11 lb. Brisket on the WSM. Water in the pan, hickory chunks and Kingsford...

Tony, You go Man. That's an awsome looking Brisket you have on the WSM. I had asked you for your porkchop recipe from the Sunday Comfort food thread lastweek. Any chance you would give that up? Those chops looked fantastic, Bud. Keep on keeping on.
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Tony, You go Man. That's an awsome looking Brisket you have on the WSM. I had asked you for your porkchop recipe from the Sunday Comfort food thread lastweek. Any chance you would give that up? Those chops looked fantastic, Bud. Keep on keeping on.
icon_cool.gif

Bryan, sorry about that man! I thought sure I replied to that post. Anyway, there is nothing really special about those chops; here is what I did...

Marinade in EV Olive Oil, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and Italian Seasoning for 2 hours.

Then, I coat them in flour seasoned with Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and a dash of cumin.

Then, fry them in my great-big cast iron skillet.

Thats it! Easy peasy. The seasoning really works well and my wife, who is not a big pork chop fan devoures them all the time!
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Tony Hunter:

Bryan, sorry about that man! I thought sure I replied to that post. Anyway, there is nothing really special about those chops; here is what I did...

Marinade in EV Olive Oil, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and Italian Seasoning for 2 hours.

Then, I coat them in flour seasoned with Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and a dash of cumin.

Then, fry them in my great-big cast iron skillet.

Thats it! Easy peasy. The seasoning really works well and my wife, who is not a big pork chop fan devoures them all the time!
icon_smile.gif
Splendid Tony, Thanks much Man for the recipe. Those chops looked killer. Cast Iron and pork just go together in my book.
icon_cool.gif
Are the twins home for the Holiday Bud?

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Splendid Tony, Thanks much Man for the recipe. Those chops looked killer. Cast Iron and pork just go together in my book.
icon_cool.gif

Yep, actually I have All My Children home this weekend. My youngest just graduated from HS and is on her way to Ball State University! Yay - empty nest soon!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_cool.gif

Yep, actually I have All My Children home this weekend. My youngest just graduated from HS and is on her way to Ball State University! Yay - empty nest soon!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just so you know, I took some pork chops out of the freezer.
icon_biggrin.gif

Great looking family you have there Tony.
icon_cool.gif
Enjoy these moments when everyone is together. The further down the road everyone gets the harder it is to get everyone together.
icon_wink.gif
Enjoy it while it's there for you. And keep them pics coming of todays smoke.
icon_smile.gif

Hey Tony, nice looking family! I am cooking with you today. Getting ready to put a packer on the Spicewine this morning. In 2 minutes to be exact.

This is my first update. I went to bed about 2am and I just woke up and the WSM was rock-steady at 230*. The brisket internal temp is 161*. I am debating with myself whether or not to foil. I have plenty of time before the folks come over so I may just let it ride foil-free - don't know yet though. I have to drop my daughter off at the beautician this morning and by the time I get back the brisket should be at about 170*, I will decide then. Here is how the brisket looks at 161*...

Looks great Tony! It should feed many!

Where do you buy your briskets in Indianapolis?

I live on the east side of Indy. I've looked (what I think) high and low for briskets in Indianapolis. Kroger sells Choice flats from time to time for 2.50 #. Wal Mart usually has the no roll Excel briskets for something like 1.28 #.

I've found butcher shops and farms that sell locally raised brisket but its over 3 a pound.

Originally posted by Nick H:
Looks great Tony! It should feed many!

Where do you buy your briskets in Indianapolis?

I live on the east side of Indy. I've looked (what I think) high and low for briskets in Indianapolis. Kroger sells Choice flats from time to time for 2.50 #. Wal Mart usually has the no roll Excel briskets for something like 1.28 #.

I've found butcher shops and farms that sell locally raised brisket but its over 3 a pound.

Hey Nick! I live in Lawrence, just behind the Wal-Mart on Pendleton Pike. I get my flats from Sam's Club on Washington St. but the packers I get from Wal-Mart - they are usually very large and fresh too.

We need to see about a Brethren Bash in Indy - I have noticed there are a lot more Brethren popping up in this area.

*UPDATE*

Well, I decided to foil the brisket because I want to make sure it has enough time to rest after I take it off the cooker. The bark will not be as chewy but everything else should be on point. Here it is at 170* ready to foil...

I also put on my ribs and brats. I have 1 slab of beef and 2 slabs of pork BBs. You can also see my brats on the top rack of the CG. I decided to go indirect for the ribs and brats because frankly, I have not been handling the CG very well. Probably spending too much time with those 2 hot WSMs I have! :lol:

Tony-

This thread really makes me smile. I love your shout out to our service men and women, it looks like you've got one heck of a family to be proud of, and based on your menu and pictures y'all are going to have a dynamite feast.

Hope everything turns out like you like it, and you get plenty of time to relax and enjoy the fam!

Well, its all done and over now! The food is almost all gone with the exception of a few snacks that will keep me from cooking on Monday! :lol: Here is how it all finished out...

The cheese brats were spectacular! They tasted great and had a nice smoke ring to boot..

The beef ribs were my very first. I just let them cook till they got done, no foil - they came out excellent!...

The Baby Backs were to die for! Very meaty and the flavor was great! I used the Weber Classic rub you get from the restaurant...

The brisket was killer! Kinda fatty but very moist and tender after I trimmed the excess... oh, and a nice smoke ring too!...

Now the complete ensemble. What a great meal and a great time we had as a family!...

Hey Tony,

I'm not one for chiming in with the "nice looking stuff, man" kinda posts, but this one is exceptional.

Nicely done, and those last two pics of the plated goods are just off the charts. I'm getting full just lookin' at 'em.

Back