Tongs and other bbq tools

Wayne E.

TVWBB Member
Curious what your most used bbq tools are, and recommendations for such. I thought I had a set of stainless bbq tools around here somewhere but can't seem to find them. They may be in the RV, in which case I should just buy another set for use at home. I was in HD yesterday and noticed they had some weber brand bbq tools. Hd is an easy trip for me or Amazon is also a preferred store. I usually scan the bar codes in retail stores with my phone and get a comparo with other places like Amazon to get the best price. We have the prime account at Amazon for free two day shipping which is nice. I also don't mind buying the tools individually (different makes/styles) if that makes for a better quality overall set.

Tongs. I have two types now, one metal ended and one rubber ended. The rubber ended ones are almost useless because the rubber flexes and just won't hold onto the food. The metal ended ones work ok but they have a little tab on the end that you slide to make them open up narrow or wide. For 90% of my use so far the narrow setting is plenty wide enough and they are forever slipping into wide mode which is annoying. However, the need for wide opening may increase now that I'll be doing chickens, half-chickens, roasts, butts, shoulders and such. Do you all use tongs to flip the larger chunks of meat on the WSM's or some other tool?

Gloves. I have been using welding gloves to date because I have them on hand for welding, but I see they have some gloves designed for bbqing these days, are any of these particularly handy? My mig and stick welding gloves are not particularly dexterous. My tig welding gloves have good dexterity but don't extend past the wrist.

Grill brush. Life used to be so simple, now I see there are all kinds of styles and types of grill brushes these days. What type/model do you prefer?

Thanks

I like the Charbroil brand Brush Hawg from Home Depot. Its got steel bristles and a hook for hanging. Also has a pretty heavy duty handle. As far as other stuff like tongs and such, the ones I use are nothing special. I know a lot of guys like the Steven Raichlen tongs. Also Steven Raichlen suede gloves look pretty nice. I heard his chimney is crap though - so I would stick with a Weber chimney. The Weber tools I see at Home Depot look pretty nice. I just wish they had a set in a nice carrying case for easier portability. I think you'll be okay as long as you go with a quality brand - stay away from the no names. Don't let the lower price fool ya. I strongly believe in the phrase "you get what you pay for". Happy smokin'

Well i bought the Weber Brush last year...3 month later it was in the bin. (note that i cook almost every day during these 3 month).

But now i go with a noname brand...And i get 6 brushes for the same price. Sure i toss em after 1 month but still. I have the weber tongs/fork/flipper. (fork used to move coals) But the tongs/flipper(spatula) is ok. I know there is better tongs outthere but i dont really feel a need for it. Sure a spring loaded tong like this might be better for wings and so on:
images

I use welding gloves myself. But not that often. The Weber kit with the long shafts i dont really se a use for the gloves.

This is the set i bought:
41ttjsmpN-L._SL160_.jpg

I prefer to buy all the tools individually. When I bought my first "nice" grill(think ECB),I went to Wal-Mart and bought a set of BBQ tools. I quickly decided that the tongs were crap and I never use a fork for cooking,just eating! The spatula was ok,it did the job of burger flipping.
I saw some 16" tongs at the dollar store and bought a set. They were ok,but didn't have a lock,so they stayed open. Major PIA to store. A year or so later,I saw some nice SS tongs at WM for $2. I got a set and loved them! I recently bought a second set. Best thing ever! I still have the crappy tongs I originally bought. I use the for pushing coals and fire wood around!
This last year,Pammi bought me a Sportula. It's pretty nice. It's a heavy duty SS spatula with a design laser cut in the blade. I have the US Army design. Oh yeah,and a bottle opener on the other end!
The brush,I can' remember the brand,but I got it at Lowes. It has a pretty big(3" X 4")replaceable head. Works great. I also have a triangular headed one I use exclusively for the pizza oven.

Tongs, I found at Lowes for 5 bucks or so.
Love'em and when I get back to lowes, i'll buy another pair.
DSCN4206.JPG

I have tried nearly every available tongs and this one is my favourite.

I've used a bunch of different tongs, but I I like these ones made a lot.

Cuisipro 16" Locking Tongs

If you want locking tongs, these work pretty well.

I also use cheap welding gloves.

As for brushes, the last one I had that I thought worked well was a simple looking brush. I think it was made by Libby or Libbey. I bought it at Smart & Final. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a replacement. I've since bought 3 other brushes and they all don't quite work as well.

While trying to find a link for the brush I liked, I found this:

Grillion

Anyone feel like trying that and reporting back on how well it works
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed L.:
I've used a bunch of different tongs, but I I like these ones made a lot.

Cuisipro 16" Locking Tongs

If you want locking tongs, these work pretty well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My tongs of choice as well. I found ones like that for $3.99 locally. Look around in grocery stores and large sporting goods stores that carry BBQ equipment (like Academy Sports).

Other than a grill cleaning brush and a pair of tongs, I think the best BBQ tools you can use are at the end of your wrists. I use my hands on just about everything. Here's how...

Get a few pairs of knit gloves ( http://www.harborfreight.com/6...it-gloves-46992.html ). Put these on and then put a pair of thin rubber/latex/nitrile gloves on as well. The knit gloves will provide insulation for your hands and the second pair will protect the knit gloves. A fellow competitor shared this trick with me and I've been using it for years. Works like a charm!

I use simple metal tongs for grilling and smoking, welders gloves for handling hot parts and coated, insulated gloves for handling larger cuts of meat.

I find with the tongs, I can have a few pair around and am able to keep a dedicated pair for raw food. I have short, medium and long versions, but prefer the medium for most things.

Back