Today's Q'in Fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
Just started some coals for MM. I will be smokin 1 4lb 7 blade and at least 2 corned beef. I rubbed the 7 blade with Taco seasoning last night, I plan to pull it and make burritos/soft tacos/enchiladas or something like that with the meat. One corned beef is covered in pepper to slice as sandwich meat, the other is simply washed and put in a bowl of water overnight (water changed once). At the current price of corned beef (48 cents a pound for point cut at Albertson's) I bought a few to try different ways. I think the CB will be done long before the 7 blade, so later I might do a couple more while finishing 7 blade. Will keep you posted.

At 12:15 it was 158*. Checked it again at 1:00. Temp was 163* waited 20 minutes and removed. Temp at 166-167*. Both look much different than boiled CB. They have some brown mixed in with the pink outside. The peppered one looks REAL good. I am going to let both cool and slice with a slicer later....will let ya know!

Thought I'd chime in here, so no one thinks you're crazy, talking to yourself.

I think the reason the CB was so cheap is the point is rarely used for CB or pastrami since it's fattier, and it's rarely if ever offered for sale separate from the flat as plain brisket. When you say "brown mixed with pink", do you mean you are seeing brown meat inside pink? That would be an indication the cure did not thoroughly reach all portions of the meat.

BTW, the little pencil/paper icon lets you edit your original post.

Thank you Doug, I did not know that. Will try that starting with this post. I meant on the outside it has more brown color than a normal CB for me. I slow cookem or pressure cook normally. I am glad they are points, with the higher fat content I can push the temps a little and see what happens. What is the highest meat temp reccomended? BTW, I am myself not talking to /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

8:42: At 6 pm (9 hours into smoke) The meat looks to be to be the right color. I foiled at this time and went 2 hours more at 250-260. I am not measuring temp of meat, just flying by the seat of my pants and by using a fork as suggested by Kevin and twisting the meat. At 8PM it twisted easily with the fork and smelled AWSOME. I will shred in 30-40 minutes and I will mix some salsa in. I tasted it and I can say this is the most intense flavored 7 bone I have ever tasted. Truly worth doing.
Some of the CB was sliced and put into grilled cheese sandwiches. Very tasty, but I need to let temp in meat go higher to get more tender. Next time I will push it to 180 and see the results. Thanks to Kevin for his web site, made it alot easier.

Since it's cured, I would only be able to extrapolate and say about 185* max-- 20 degrees higher than the recommended 165* advised in Chris' pastrami recipe (which I use regularly-- today in fact). Reasoning used being a brisket point is done typically about 20* higher than the flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back