Today's project

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
Installing this flush mount hose bib on our deck. I need to place under the kitchen sink and tap off the sink's cold water feed. So it's find the best spot under the kitchen sink, drill a hole from the inside out with a spade bit and extension. Mount it and do some creative plumbing.
Screenshot_20240314-090905_Chrome.jpg

Never can wrap my head around those things. Just give me a good ol fashioned bib. Just don't see any sense at all in the flush stuff and foresee lots of potential troubles down the road. Good plain rebuildable hose bib is best IMO

Never can wrap my head around those things. Just give me a good ol fashioned bib. Just don't see any sense at all in the flush stuff and foresee lots of potential troubles down the road. Good plain rebuildable hose bib is best IMO
What I always thought too. But this thing is heavy duty, self-draining=frost free and I can't have a bib protruding from the wall. I'd need a full-time paramedic on staff here. It's the only option. Also, it's for watering plants...I'll haul the regular hose up from the outside shower downstairs for power washing,etc...

I’m about to head into my 3rd season with the Aquor Hot & Cold Hydrant at my rental property with zero problems or hassles. At $409.99 list, it’s not for everybody but I work at a plumbing and heating supply and picked mine up through the manufacturers rep for about 1/3 of that under an introductory personal use program. For my application, it’s a winner by offering reasonable security from vandals and/or unauthorized use in my absence. The hot & cold combination might not be necessary but it sure makes tasks like washing the lawn tractor, patio furniture, etc a lot more pleasant to endure.

No such issues here. Still unless extenuating circumstances (apparently like you guys mention with vandalism or interference) I will stick with my simple (and cheap) bibs that work and don't need all kind of specialized fittings.

We tried those Aquor at a small 7 lot subdivision (I manage new construction).

We will not be using them again.

Not user friendly to the trades or customer, adapter gets lost.

Need to leave the adapter in place to properly winterize so customer needs to understand new protocol.

Can’t leave an adapter in place for more than 12 hours under pressure so can’t use irrigation timers.

IMG_4782.png

I had the hose bib on the back of my house burst on me one time. Luckily I was home when it happened and I could hear the water shooting all the over my basement. I was able to shut the water off before anything got ruined. I went to Home Depot and bought a new frost proof one and had it installed in a couple of hours. That was a fun one.

I had the hose bib on the back of my house burst on me one time. Luckily I was home when it happened and I could hear the water shooting all the over my basement. I was able to shut the water off before anything got ruined. I went to Home Depot and bought a new frost proof one and had it installed in a couple of hours. That was a fun one.
How does a hose bib "burst"? That is the weirdest thing

I didn't think it was that weird. It was old and had been subjected to freezing temperatures for years. Here's a picture to illustrate where the old one burst.
View attachment 87797
This style ruptures where shown when hoses are left connected to the bib, the valve is off, and the hose is still full when subjected to freezing conditions. Water in the barrel portion (circled rupture location) freezes and splits the barrel lengthwise. This split is actually downstream of the valve shutoff pinch point. Thus, water leaks into the home when the valve is opened after its ruptured.

When the hose bib is shutoff for the winter - disconnect the hose and leave open.

Note the lawyers use the term "frost proof" not "freeze proof". I still winterize the "frost proof" style by shutting off internally within the home and draining.

Last edited:
I was using those simple bibs but got tired of being concerned and actually having forgotten once gotten a frozen pipe (thankfully no harm done). I got a couple of these https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...492-12m/p-1444451411032-c-19519.htm?exp=false
Been on for about 3 years now. Been through multiple extended Polar Vortex events with sustained temps of -10F (actual) and worse. No issues at all. But then I take my hoses off.

I was using those simple bibs but got tired of being concerned and actually having forgotten once gotten a frozen pipe (thankfully no harm done). I got a couple of these https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...492-12m/p-1444451411032-c-19519.htm?exp=false
Been on for about 3 years now. Been through multiple extended Polar Vortex events with sustained temps of -10F (actual) and worse. No issues at all. But then I take my hoses off.
I had one of those Prier brand units have a factory bad solder joint from the copper barrel to the brass end fitting. Our houses use CPVC so the plumber threaded an adapter on the male threaded end and did the rough as normal. The link Larry provided has an end for PEX vs the male threaded version we had.

Customer moves in, connects a landscape timer to the outside, turns the faucet on and goes on vacation. Damn thing flooded the townhouse. I proved with video the factory bad solder joint - Prier's lawyers got involved, interviewed me over the phone, watched the video I sent them, and denied the plumber's claim (we backcharged the plumber close to $10g's to fix the damage). The lawyers claim the plumber overheated the faucet during installation failing to understand that CPVC is solvent welded; not soldered.

I won't use them.

Yeah, sorry, I clicked on the wrong photo. This is the ones I bought with the PTF (push to fit) type on the end. No issues, though I also do NOT have automated watering systems. That's only for the rich folks around here especially the ones who can afford to pay the fines when we get hit with watering bans but they still do. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...l-hydrant/483-08m/p-1501569270336-c-19519.htm
I do things the old fashioned way. I drag hoses all over the place. Again, no problems at all in 3+ years. Now if you will please excuse me I have to go downstairs and start my pumps :D

Plumbers at work always used Mansfield either frost free anti syphon depending on the local code.
They installed it at a slight pitch so any water in the tube will drain out.
Mines buried in a unconditioned wet wall ( I live in a tri level ) so when I replaced it I cut the drywall and put a RA louver over it .
That's in the laundry room.

Plumbers at work always used Mansfield either frost free anti syphon depending on the local code.
They installed it at a slight pitch so any water in the tube will drain out.
Mines buried in a unconditioned wet wall ( I live in a tri level ) so when I replaced it I cut the drywall and put a RA louver over it .
That's in the laundry room.
So when you install this Aquor bib, there is a contoured, fitted wedge that sits directly behind the flip up door. It puts an upward tilt to the tube so as soon as you disconnect the hose fitting, remaining water drains down and out. Simple but clever.

So when you install this Aquor bib, there is a contoured, fitted wedge that sits directly behind the flip up door. It puts an upward tilt to the tube so as soon as you disconnect the hose fitting, remaining water drains down and out. Simple but clever.
Correct - but the valve is now in a fully closed state so you cannot properly drain the supply piping has you have deprived it of a vent. To properly winterize these, you close the shutoff in the house, install the adapter into the port to create a vent, and then open the bleed screw in the house to drain the system. Then you can remove the adapter when done.

Some of the other frost free bibs include a similar plastic wedge to place behind the flange to create the tilt. This is often omitted by unknowing installers.

Those adapters have an o-ring on them with some sort of clear grease. Magnet for attracting grit when you remove the adapter after using should you leave the adapter attached to the hose and place it on the ground. Long term I think this grit will degrade the adapter.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of these. A solution to a problem that does not exist.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of these. A solution to a problem that does not exist.
Not true. The need for a flush mount hose bib or water source does indeed exist for both residential and commercial markets.
The product comes with the standard straight adapter that you mentioned but the optional adapters are essentially hose bibs with a shutoff valve. I leave the hose connected to it and put it in a garden box or inside until I need it.Screenshot_20240316-100511_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

Back