Todays Cook : Redneck Bracciole

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I was watching a PBS cooking show yesterday that inspired me to tweak a recipe that was centered around traditional italian bracciole, beef pounded out flat, filled with butter and parsley, then rolled, dipped in egg/flour wash, then pan fried.

I wanted to do something different on the WSM. So I picked up a rib eye roast at the market, (moment of inspiration, and that's all they had that would work) $$$, and proceeded to slice and pound it out flat.

DSCF1552.jpg

Then I hatched a plan on the filling. Since I'm just my third week into the whole no carb diet, I wasn't concerned about the fat levels, so I was able to get rather creative. In the future, I would love to add a good bit of onion and green chiles. For one filling I mixed up an 8 oz block of cream cheese, about 6 oz of finely cubed extra sharp cheddar cheese, 4 cloves of garlic minced, 3 slices of crisp bacon, finely chopped, and a small handful of cilantro finely diced. A dash of kosher salt and a bit of white pepper (out of black) mixed all together in my stand mixer.

For the next version, I mixed up the same amount of cream cheese, two finely diced andouille sausages I had made from scratch and smoked over almond, a bit less garlic, since I knew the andouille would do most of the talking. And last to go in was 3 chipotles carefully de-seeded, and diced, along with a small handful of minced flat leaf parsley.

The result left me with two different fillings, slightly different in color, very different in taste.

DSCF1553.jpg

Rolled, and brushed with some melted unsalted butter, and the remaining rendered bacon fat, served as a perfect glue to hold onto my light coating of spice rub that was my traditional spice rub kicked up a bit with some extra sage, and vietnamese cinnamon. Into the fridge they went for the night to set up and chill.

DSCF1554.jpg

Setting up my WSM, using 3 small blocks of white oak, they went on at 1:30. Temps held steady at 265, and I kicked it up to 300, which I now regret because some of them leaked out the filling a bit.

DSCF1557.jpg

Done less than 3 hours later, rested.

DSCF1558.jpg

And on the plate ready to eat.

DSCF1559-1.jpg

The rib eye roast made 9 good size pieces to use, along with leaving me a good inch and a half steak to pan sear in the rendered fat, and finished in the broiler last night, for a quick easy and delicious meal. The small ribs went on as well, sprinkled with rub, and pulled at the same time.

All very dang tasty indeed. Allowed to cool a bit and sliced into approx. 3/4 inch pieces, I think these will make some great appetizers in the future.

That looks great! Really different. I'm guessing the beef doesn't get fork tender but does it? Like do they have to be cut with a knife?

I must be a redneck, when I read the thread title I thought you misspelled broccoli.
icon_smile.gif

Tom, They look freaking fantastic Bud. Nice job there, and thanks for the Bracciole recipe. First I ever heard of this.
icon_cool.gif

They were not fall apart tender. But not chewy either. I used a knife to cut them into smaller portions.

They really turned out great, flavor wise and simplicity. I had the benefit of having the andouille on hand. The flavor of the version with andouille and chipotle was outstanding, and the heat was right up to the limit that I can comfortably tolerate. Probably too spicy for some tenderfoots.

Although Google would tend to indicate otherwise, a local food writer here insists these are more properly called "Braciolone".
icon_rolleyes.gif
Looks tasty, whatever you call them.

Tom, That looks absolutely Awesome!!!! That just gave me a great idea for for the next Patriots home game I go to. Just a quick question for you, because of the limited time the patriots give us to tailgate before each home game (4 hrs) could these be cooked a little quicker, like maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hrs?

Tom,

Those look great! They would be perfect if you needed to serve something a notch or 2 above ABTs. A platter of those, cut on the bias wouldn't last long!!

Paul

That's some good lookin Braciole you have there Tom.
Nice twist on a oldie but goodie.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Yes, they could be done a whole lot sooner. I figured I'd give them 2 hours at 275-280, mainly to add the smokiness to them, but I had consistent temps of 300, and they were on for just a hair shy of 3 hours. The meat temped at 185 to 195 in various places, so they were overcooked. That probably affected the tenderness a good deal.

I should have stayed at the 265 that I had to begin with, cause when I checked them after about the first 40 minutes or so, they all looked beautiful with no filling squeezing out. The higher temp shot that plan though.

Presentation wise, I certainly agree that these need to be sliced into smaller sections, cause they look kinda ugly in their full, intact state.
icon_smile.gif

I made them yesterday, and was done around 5, but wasnt very hungry at the time, I only ate half of each type. But they wont last long. I will vac seal a few and see how they freeze. Cant imagine there will be a problem making them ahead of time, and storing them for easy reheating in the future.

Thanks all, for the compliments. There certainly isn't much italian about them. Pure redneck food.

GO RAIDERS!!

icon_smile.gif

your a bad man Tom. those things look awesome.

how did you hold them together? I would think you would have tied them up. but they seemed to hold together good enough.

I stopped stuffing tenderloins with cheese after the last one leaked about 10 bucks worth of goat cheese into the fire. low and slow might help with that.

Tom those look unbelievable. I think we need to post that in the appetizer recipe section. I make the traditional Italian bracciole around holiday time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
... how did you hold them together? ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm wondering the same thing. They look like they really stayed together well. Did you do something to them to help with that Tom?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Balzotti:
... I make the traditional Italian bracciole around holiday time... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Would you consider posting your recipe? I'm really interested and I might try them baked in the WSM.

They held together fine without being tied, or toothpicks. Maybe the rest in the fridge overnight helped, but I just wanted to put off cooking them til I had daylight.

The recipe I follow is a Beef Rolls in Tomato Sauce. Started using it before I before I received my WSM

need 1 to 1 1/14 pounds thin sliced beef from the rib, loin, or sirloin

salt and pepper
1/3 cup flour
2 ounces of Prosciutto
1/2 pound Fresh Provolone or Mozzarella cheese cut into 8 pieces

I always remove the excess fat from the connective tissue. Then I cut them into 12 to 14 more or less pieces. If they are more than a 1/4 inch think I pound them a bit with the meat mallet. Pieces should end up being 7 inches by 5 inches.
lay each piece flat salt and pepper them. then I put the prosciutto and then a slice of the cheese. Cut the prosciutto so it fits in the meat.

I roll them put together with a tooth pick. Flour a little and then saute in Olive Oil seem side down. roll them as the color. Once they are stuck together I put them in my sauce to cook until company arrives.

These are usually the first things to go when I put out my Italian spread. The recipe also calls for hard boiled egg but I am all set with that in my beef. I leave that out.

I shared some slices of these today at work, and people raved about them. I found they work even better if I slice them real short, since the meat overcooked and is not very tender.

I've already got plans for my next batch...

Hey Paul, get your own avatar!
icon_smile.gif

Just kidding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey Paul, get your own avatar! Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on my chef is cooking a chicken. I love the Swedish Chef mort mort mort.
icon_smile.gif

Back