Todays butts

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
I have my 2 picnics on right now, been around 13 hours now. (one just over 10#, the other just under it) It dropped down into the 20's again at night, and I didn't put the heater wrap around it. Boy did THAT use up more fuel! I knew it made a difference, but forgot how much fuel this thing saves. Held around 220 all night at the grate. (wrap is back on now!)
icon_wink.gif

Bob..my picnics are still stuck at 190..got the grate temps down to around 224...when will these things hit 195?!?!?!?!?! Hope I'm doing this right. With that low a grate temp, will they ever reach 195??

Yes, they will hit 195 @ that temp. If you are trying to hurry it along, you could foil it, or if you are low on fuel, let it hit 195-200 in the oven. It's collected all the smoke it's going to IMHO. Will not change anything in the oven for the last few degrees. If you are trying to stretch it so you will not have to shred it now and reheat @ 2 this afternoon, you should be good to go to go. It will get there. Mine are at 185 right now, and hope they stay on for another 2 -2 1/2 hours.

I've come this far and H E double toothpicks will freeze over before I put these babies in the oven...no way!!!!! Hehehehehehe Just gonna put more fuel to em/ and pull when our guests arrive.

Remember, temps are just a number for reference as far as "are they done". Give the bone a gentle pull/wiggle. Ifin it feels like it is very "loose", or itcould slide out of the meat, it's done IMHO. You and the guest will love it. Good thing about it is, some people like the heavy smoke/bark on their sammies, (like me) others like the meat further in where the smoke isn't as strong, and no bark. I would love to shred it all the time myself, but going to the Inlaws and I let them just pick off the meat they want. Not a pretty sight lol.

Back