Today at Home Depot

That is a great deal and story. Were the flavorizer bars SS or porcelain coated steel?

I was able to score each of these items at 3 different HD near me, 1 cent each. The staff should have pulled these items and at some stores they do, others not so much.

In my experience, the one penny thing at Home Depot is a code for a clearance item that for some reason must have the price manually entered by the cashier.

Also, when the bars get real cheap, you buy the overly long ones and cut the stack down to size with a cutoff wheel, Sawzall, or similar.

So, are the flavo bars advertised higher but ring up at $.01, or are them marked as one penny on the shelf?

Nothing is ever marked as one penny on the shelf. I feel like it is a code to tell the cashier to go get a supervisor. It would probably be dishonest, but if no one is watching closely, you can absolutely slide through self pay and even get a receipt showing that you paid one penny.

Nothing is ever marked as one penny on the shelf. I feel like it is a code to tell the cashier to go get a supervisor. It would probably be dishonest, but if no one is watching closely, you can absolutely slide through self pay and even get a receipt showing that you paid one penny.
Interesting.

Well, I am gonna run through HD tomorrow and see if they have any. Do they have the self price check stations in HD?

No price check stations in Home Depot.

Another Home Depot tip that has saved me hundreds and might help somebody on a grill - always shop the inner city Home Depots for outdoor equipment every time you can. They get all the same power washers, mowers, chain saws, grills, etc. as every other Home Depot, they just can't sell it because none of their customers have yards or extra money, so it gets on clearance. Some states have tax incentives in urban areas as well for another few percent off.

The $0.01 pricing is apparently supposed to make it easy to see what items have outlived their clearance period so that they can be pulled off of the shelves and either destroyed or sent back to the vendor for a credit. In the last week I have both paid $0.01 for some of these items and also been told to take the item without paying the $0.01. I have read online of other cashiers manually entering the last clearance price.

Well, I am gonna run through HD tomorrow and see if they have any. Do they have the self price check stations in HD?
I went though self check twice for two different stores. In one no one seviced me in the other a cashier approved it because I had an item to remove, but it will ring up in self checkout without an issue.
Good luck, Did you find any Bruce?

Don't be too happy about one penny parts at Home Depot. I'm pretty sure it represents the end of the line for a convenient source of commonly needed old school Weber parts. Home Depot is making room for something newer - probably still Weber, but newer.

Don't be too happy about one penny parts at Home Depot. I'm pretty sure it represents the end of the line for a convenient source of commonly needed old school Weber parts. Home Depot is making room for something newer - probably still Weber, but newer.
That has been my gut feeling - all of the stuff I have found for 0.01 has been Genesis 1 E3XX related. Looking online shows those were replaced by the Genesis 2 lines in 2017. My guess is that HD and Lowes will stop stocking the older parts. At least I won't need flavorizer bars or grates for a while...

I found clearance items at both HD and Lowes, and have then seen the same items there the following year. Not sure why they went on clearance other than a seasonal issue.

I can't speak with certainty, be I imagine that there are lots of reasons why stuff goes on clearance. Out of season; soon to be replaced with a different style; needing to make room; excessive stock; too hard to ship to somewhere else; stock that is getting dusty and/or stale; I'm sure the list could go on.

I bought six of the igniters, and they were quite dusty. I skipped the seventh one simply because the package was ripped up a bit and six plus what I had on hand seemed sufficient.

I agree that the stuff marked way down are clearance, never to be stocked again, items. I checked three HD's today for the penny flavorizer bars and none were to be found. I did notice that they had marked down all of the Weber grate brushes and grilling utensil sets. Prices on those were still pretty high if you ask me.

Crazy big box stores. One thing I think Lowes and Home Depot have in common is that, sadly, they are both reducing their Weber foot prints. It will be interesting to see what the spring brings, but I am willing to bet less variety, no SmokeFires, and fewer Weber parts.

Last edited:

Back