Today’s cook – Prime rib

Chuck R

TVWBB Fan
Today’s cook was a Prime Rib Standing Roast, three rib, small end, 6.17 lbs.

Nice looking hunk of meat.

Nicehunkofmeat.jpg

I used Chris’ Herb Crusted Prime Rib recipe and method in the Cooking Topics section here on TVWB. I made a double batch so I had plenty to cover the roast.

Prime rib was rubbed with the herb mixture and sat at room temperature for two hours.

Herbed.jpg

I used the “standard” method of lighting left over’s of a chimney of Whole Foods 365 (Cowboy) and a chimney of Lazzri Oak hardwood lump for the heat and 5 oz. each of apple and cherry for smoke, place on the lit when the meat was put on.. Right after dumping the hot coals, I assembled the WSM with a dry pan and hooked up the Stoker grill probe, programmed to 420 º. At 420 º, I put the Prime Rib on, bone side down, with the meat probe programmed at 120 º and reprogrammed the grill probe down to 350 º. Sat back and watched the WSM, Stoker and StokerLog do their thing.

Reqadytocook.jpg

After two hours and 24 minutes , the meat hit 120 º, pulled it from the grill and loosely covered with foil to rest for 30 minutes. While resting, the temperature rose to 138 º. The Stoker maintained an average temp of 250, with a low of 236 and high of 260.

Done.jpg

The ribs removed from the meat, tomorrow’s dinner!

Ribsremoved.jpg

Carved and plated. The sides were roasted red potatoes and an asparagus casserole.

Carvedandplated.jpg

Close up before it was devoured!

Closeup.jpg

I tell ya, you cannot go wrong following Chris’ instructions, both with the recipes as well as the method. The herbs and smoke level were perfect, subtle, and not overpowering at all. Thank you Chris. My family thinks I am a great cook, but I told them I just followed your directions.

The Stoker and StokerLog worked exactly as advertised. Can’t wait until the next cook. The Bride suggested a brisket for next Saturday.

Chuck

Beautiful roast, Chuck! I saw one of those a few weeks ago on sale at my local grocery but didn't buy it (intended to go back but sale ended). Oh well... next time I'll grab it!

You are right about Chris's instructions and the Stoker with StokerLog. Love em both!

Awesome meal there. I like the look of those asparagus sides as well.

The last time I did a standing rib roast, I let it go way too hot. I don't think I pulled till 130 or more. IIRC, it shot up to just under 155 when it was done resting.

Looks great, Chuck! i saw rib roasts on sale at two different stores around here. Most were $5.99/lb. I saw a post on another site that Costco had them for $4.99 but I haven't checked locally. It may be time to buy a couple and vacusuck and freeze.

I did the same thing yesterday - Costco had mine for $4.99 / lb (choice grade)

Turned out amazing (even though I did have a little bit of a grease fire threaten to burn down the neighborhood - I posted about that elsewhere)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">asparagus </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fantastic looking meal there Chuck, great job.
icon_cool.gif
I'd like me some of that asparagus (recipe?) and an end piece also.
icon_biggrin.gif

That looked so good Chuck! Glad you enjoyed it, I've done a few like that, not always prime rib either.

Thank you all for the complements, but Chris A. deserves the credit, all I did was follow his excellent instructions, and the Stoker and StokerLog did all the work.

Ryan, I read about your “little bit” of a grease fire. Man that is some scary crap.

Bryan, here is the original recipe, but I can’t leave things alone so I’ll let you know how I changed it.

Asparagus Casserole

3 Tbsp margarine(have extra for later, about 6 tsp)
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 c milk
salt & pepper
1 med or 2 sm cans chopped asparagus
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 lb grated longhorn cheese
1 c satltines crumbled

Preheat oven to 300 deg
melt the 3 tbsp margarine in saucepan, add flour, stirring well, add milk, salt and pepper. and cook to desired consistency. In an oblong Pyrex dish (about 8x11 inch) layer asparagus, soup and 3 slices margarine, half of the eggs, cheese and cream sauce. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Repeat the layer and cook for 30 minutes.

I’m trying to lose weight (hard to do when you love Q) so I exchanged light margarine for the regular margarine, skim milk for the regular, used low sodium/fat mushroom soup and I used a bunch of fresh asparagus, cut about an inch long after snapping off the “wood”. My saltines tasted funny so I substituted Ritz crackers I sprayed the bottom of the dish with Pam to prevent sticking. I’m lazy, so I combined the flour, S and P to make the roux, then added the milk and stirred. Then I stirred in the soup and extra margarine (only 2 tablerspoon) so I had only one thing to pour. I was doing taters at the same time so I cooked it 30 minutes at 350.

Great pics, and it all looks good to me! That asparagus casserole catches my eye, too .. Thanks for the recipe(s).
icon_cool.gif

Bill

I had a rib and a slice of leftovers for dinner last night. MMMmmm. I have a few slices left so I’ll have to make some sammiches. Have to finish it off to make room for the turkey Thanksgiving and the brisket I’m gonna cook this weekend!

thanks for the recipe - my wife likes the look of it so much she wants it for another thanksgiving side on the table. ive never seen canned asparagus where i live - im guessing fresh would work as well. Thanks again

I tried the herb crust recipe on a sirloin pork roast today, it is incredible. Two guests admitted the best pork they have ever eaten.

I've never done this with a rib roast, but have used the herb crust on a pork loin. It is fantastic. I actually let the loin sit in the herb rub all day, then cooked it.

Very nice prime rib Chuck! That's what i eat in Las Vegas for dinner every night prime rib.

Back