To picnic or not to picnic

Jon Chappel

TVWBB Member
I'm thinking about doing a picnic this weekend because SnS has them on sale for $0.99/lb. I've only done one butt and it was a bit dry because I think I undercooked it. I have heard picnics are a bit tougher of a cook than butts so I'm a little hesitant on doing a picnic right now. Should I get a couple butts under my belt before doing a picnic, or should I just go for the picnic and stop whining? If I should go for it, any advice?

Picnics are just as easy as butts. I do everything the same as butts. Very similar if not identical in taste too. Love crisping up the skin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Picnics are just as easy as butts. I do everything the same as butts. Very similar if not identical in taste too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>DITTO.

I get split picnics often from a local retailer at $0.99/lb. I prefer shoulder butts but at 2 - 4 times the price it's picnics FTW.

Ok so I got a 7lb picnic. I also got some goya mojo criollo, was thinking of marinading it overnight. Any thoughts? I made some mojo chicken thighs the other night and they were awesome, but I've never had it with pork.

What do you do with the skin? Leave it on and score it crosshatch style? Do you eat it separate from the pulled pork?

I'd just slap on the dry rub as heavy as you can and let her rip. No marinades. Just leave the skin in tact. Simplify my friend. You can separate the skin once pulled. It should come out nice and crispy though. Good Luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
You can separate the skin once pulled. It should come out nice and crispy though. Good Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yummy!

Well its cooking as we speak. I also thawed a chuck roast I had in the freezer and threw that on too!!! I was shooting for a semi HH cook. Its been on for 4 hours temps have been about 300°C. I don't want to wrap in foil, mainly because I have all day and I am lazy. Should I wrap it if cooking at 300? The internal temp of the picnic is 165 right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
I'd just slap on the dry rub as heavy as you can and let her rip. No marinades. Just leave the skin in tact. Simplify my friend. You can separate the skin once pulled. It should come out nice and crispy though. Good Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> But don't the skin keep the rub from reaching the meat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But don't the skin keep the rub from reaching the meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would say yes. I've done one picnic as pulled pork. Didn't love it; seemed a bit greasy to me. I peeled the skin off, then treated it same as butt. Hey, if the price is right, try it. If you don't like it, don't do it again!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay(olliecaboose):
I'd just slap on the dry rub as heavy as you can and let her rip. No marinades. Just leave the skin in tact. Simplify my friend. You can separate the skin once pulled. It should come out nice and crispy though. Good Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> But don't the skin keep the rub from reaching the meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rub really doesn't penetrate the meat much. When you pull it and mix it all together is when you get your uniform flavour.

I mix extra rub in when I pull the pork.

Back