Tired of $80 cable bill every month

if you are going kodi, I'd recommend the box ( firetv) over the stick simply for the ethernet port.

But then your stuck having to run the Cat5. Wifi has come ALONG way and I don't have issues, and I'm running slow *** DSL still (I know I know).

But then your stuck having to run the Cat5. Wifi has come ALONG way and I don't have issues, and I'm running slow *** DSL still (I know I know).

The box also has more ram as well as a sd card slot incase you dont have a nas. I think ( although not 100% certain) that the gpu is different on the box as well.

If you are going to stream 4k content the local network is likely not the bottleneck but ive done side by side comparisons and wired seems to have less tearing and buffering issues. YMMV

The box also has more ram as well as a sd card slot incase you dont have a nas. I think ( although not 100% certain) that the gpu is different on the box as well.

If you are going to stream 4k content the local network is likely not the bottleneck but ive done side by side comparisons and wired seems to have less tearing and buffering issues. YMMV

Do you have an opinion on using a raspberry pi? I'm not all that familiar with linux but have a couple builds laying around. I was looking at building a RetroPi (old video games emulator), and then I found this one at ebay that includes Kodi.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroPie-Ra...n-Console-Controllers-Kodi-16GB/321978308137?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Do you have an opinion on using a raspberry pi? I'm not all that familiar with linux but have a couple builds laying around. I was looking at building a RetroPi (old video games emulator), and then I found this one at ebay that includes Kodi.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroPie-Ra...n-Console-Controllers-Kodi-16GB/321978308137?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMO, KODI on Raspberry PI is too slow. You need to use basic skins and use a bunch of tweaks to have it play HD smoothly. I just build a decent computer with a HTPC case and hook it up to my TV. Kodi really shines with a nice skin like Aeon Nox.
1121.jpg

Len, Kodi is great with the Phoenix add-on. You practically will have all the channels. Just beware if you are using Rogers Cable Internet. They are notorious for sending their infringement letters.

Just beware if you are using Rogers Cable Internet. They are notorious for sending their infringement letters.

I'm not BUT I am following the voltage vs teksavvy court case. Even though the case got tossed, voltage still sends out their "pay us or we'll sue" letters to those who dl torrents (which is contrary to the court's decision I believe). I don't but it is irritating to read about those who troll as their sole business model.

I'm not BUT I am following the voltage vs teksavvy court case. Even though the case got tossed, voltage still sends out their "pay us or we'll sue" letters to those who dl torrents (which is contrary to the court's decision I believe). I don't but it is irritating to read about those who troll as their sole business model.

Voltage was using a scare tactic which failed.. but the new law that was implemented last year is a little more concerning. The ISP is suppose to report if you are using VPN for downloading/streaming (netflix)..

I recently left Teksavvy for Rogers. They been increasing their prices yearly and their service been so much worse than 5-7 years ago.

Sony was after Teksavvy a few months ago for anyone downloading one of Adam Sandler's latest movie. Alot of people I know have started switching to Start.ca or vmedia.ca.

Voltage was using a scare tactic which failed.. but the new law that was implemented last year is a little more concerning. The ISP is suppose to report if you are using VPN for downloading/streaming (netflix)..

I recently left Teksavvy for Rogers. They been increasing their prices yearly and their service been so much worse than 5-7 years ago.

Sony was after Teksavvy a few months ago for anyone downloading one of Adam Sandler's latest movie. Alot of people I know have started switching to Start.ca or vmedia.ca.

I looked at vmedia recently and thought what they had to offer "in their ad" looked good but after a little bit of research comparing program inclusions and pricing, well maybe.Then I went to online reviews about them and well, I didn't like what I read.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/isp_comment_totals.cgi?f=Comments&ispid=257

I still want to cut the cord but I can't convince the wife to give up her 30 (some are 40!) year old reruns that are only available on cable. And those reruns aren't available at the local library either so.......

Aren't 20+ stations enough?

Last edited:
If your not into bit torrent. You might as well get Netflix. From what I hear, the content is starting to be comparable to the U.S.

Around June-August. Rogers offered promo prices 100MBPS at $42/month @ 2 yr contract. Modem included. $45 for 250MBPS 2 yr contract.

Not sure about your area, but Rogers have 1000GBps now.. drool.

If your not into bit torrent. You might as well get Netflix. From what I hear, the content is starting to be comparable to the U.S.

Around June-August. Rogers offered promo prices 100MBPS at $42/month @ 2 yr contract. Modem included. $45 for 250MBPS 2 yr contract.

Not sure about your area, but Rogers have 1000GBps now.. drool.

I appreciate your input Matthew but cogeco is it (owned by shaw but as there is basically zero compeition, they have no need to offer promos). Until Cogeco eliminates Perry Mason and Ironside from the lineup, I'll stay where I am. Can't believe I'm paying $80 a month so we can get Perry Mason. Maybe I can find it on dvd? :D-->$250 :(

Last edited:
IMO, KODI on Raspberry PI is too slow. You need to use basic skins and use a bunch of tweaks to have it play HD smoothly. I just build a decent computer with a HTPC case and hook it up to my TV. Kodi really shines with a nice skin like Aeon Nox.

I installed Kodi on my Win10 HTPC (your case looks much nicer - mine's a tower). Still looking around..... typical Linux (lots of promise, lots of steps to learn). Seems nice so far.

I appreciate your input Matthew but cogeco is it (owned by shaw but as there is basically zero compeition, they have no need to offer promos). Until Cogeco eliminates Perry Mason and Ironside from the lineup, I'll stay where I am. Can't believe I'm paying $80 a month so we can get Perry Mason. Maybe I can find it on dvd? :D-->$250 :(

Perry Mason - I always liked that show but haven't seen it for >10 years

This is kind of a bump but the play station network is rolling out ( nationwide but with some geographic restrictions) their own version of Sling TV and it should be playable through a PS3 or 4 as well as through a box like the Amazon fire TV. what distinguishes it from say sling TV ? its a little more expensive to start ( 30 bucks a month vs 40) but it has 55 channels ( including a LOT of sports channels) and if you really want to go you can pay up to 55 bucks a month for like 100 channels. I like sling Tv but a bunch of their " channels" are nothing more than youtuve channels and I find myself watching like 5 or 6 of the channels out of twenty. The playstation one has USA/FX/MSNBC/ a ton of ESPN's/ fox regionals / comedy central etc.

I have a ps4 so i'm going to try it as a trial as my sling TV is about to expire. I think the play station one is also no contract month to month but I'm not sure. I'm not sure how good the service is ( and to be honest I've been with sling tv through some bumps in the road) but i'm willing to give it a try.

I didn't have much luck with kodi -

on what device ? It runs REALLY well on the amazon fire TV, almost as good as a WMC running on my HTPC ( sans recording).

and its from a few posts ago but Playstation Vue is really good, much better than I had expected and way better selection than sling TV.

The control of the playstation vue from the fire TV is also pretty good.

What version are you running?

15.2, git:20151019-02e7013

I doubt it's a version thing, more like operator error :)

on what device ? It runs REALLY well on the amazon fire TV, almost as good as a WMC running on my HTPC ( sans recording).

and its from a few posts ago but Playstation Vue is really good, much better than I had expected and way better selection than sling TV.

The control of the playstation vue from the fire TV is also pretty good.

It's a win10 game/HTPC (3.2 GHz i5, 8gb ram, mid grade video card <nvid gtx 750ti>). It streams well but like I'd click to watch one movie and another would play. I fire it up once in a while but finding what I want isn't exactly easy.

>>>edit: I'm not giving it the credit it deserves - I've found the moto/supercross streams that catalog all the races, South Park episodes are clearly organized. It's a Very Nice interface, but there's a lot I haven't figured out......... Huge potential, I'm sure I'd benefit from a few more instructional youtube videos.

Last edited:
A few of our neighbors went to antennas, but where we live there are only about 5 or 6 channels and a music channel. That's not going to fly with Barb. If I had my way I'd dump the cable and sell the TV as we only watch about 4 of the hundred plus channels we have, but again we have to have the premium package to get the channels Barb watches.

Back