Tips on Keeping Temps Down

I don’t really vary the amount of unlit. On a shorter cook I just wind up with more unburned to use on the next cook.

I only sweat the amount of lit. Less for low temp. More for high temp.

If you were smoking during the daytime and was not in shade, the ambient temp on the 11'th was probably approaching 90f, which could influence your pit temp. Others may be correct but especially in the summertime I often start with ~8 lit coals, as it seems to me the amount of lit coals can also influence the temp. But if I may say so, I don't mind smoking at ~275f and, more oft than not, prefer that temp. If I can, I usually keep the exhaust vent fully open as you noted but if need be I'll choke it. Good luck!

So, I'm having similar issue. Have done about 1/2 doz batches of salmon with good results, but always looking to improve. I try to bring temp up slowly as suggested and try to finish around 170 after 3 1/2hrs, but have trouble keeping it down.
To keep temp down I have to close off drafts, but then I find there is no smoke coming out of vent. Am I still getting smoke effect even if I don’t see it?
Can anybody suggest number of coals to burn. I've been lighting about 60. Maybe too many? I leave my unburnt coals in the rack as someone here suggested.

Thks

A full chimney will probably send you well over 300 degrees and then you'll have to cool back off.
if you use that start with the bottom vents fully closed and wait for the temperature to come down

For normal cooking temps half to two-thirds of a chimney is more than adequate, in my experience
Personally I only use a full chimney when I want to go up to like 350 for chicken

Last edited:
A full chimney will probably send you well over 300 degrees and then you'll have to cool back off.
if you use that start with the bottom vents fully closed and wait for the temperature to come down

For normal cooking temps half to two-thirds of a chimney is more than adequate, in my experience
Personally I only use a full chimney when I want to go up to like 350 for chicken
Any idea how many briquettes you would consider half a chimney?

Any idea how many briquettes you would consider half a chimney?

I dont count coals
I have ATC that controls temp via air supply

But in my opinion, the more coals you have a lit the better off you are. With the burn rate regulated by the air.
Lighting off unlit cold coals or wood makes white smoke which is acrid and bitter . Even if it's all not burning I want it all hot, on the edge of burning. Once those coal's are ashed over they can burn slowly but they're hot.

And that crappy Kingsford charcoal..... If you start with a full chimney you'll end up with about 3 inches less than that by the time to coal's get lit at top. And you have to change clothes and take a shower you stink so bad.

Back