tips for speeding up cooking porkbutt

Aaron B

hey everybody!

so i had an alarm set this morning so i could get up and put on the 7.69 lb pork butt i had all ready to go. well i overslept. it ended up going on at about 9 am, which is much later than i wanted to put it on.

i was hoping to have it ready for lunch but now im hoping for a late dinner at best. i figured i would ask on here as there is a wealth of information stored within your various minds. if anybody has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

thanks everybody!

Cook for a few hours in your WSM, then in the oven around 300 to finish in foil.

Hey Aaron, my last pork butt was a high heat version. I put the pork butt on my egg @ 350ish, and cooked it for about 5 hours (until it was 195 internal). It was really good. You didnt mention how you were cooking it, but if its the WSM, open up the vents and try and bring the heat up. Water will make it really hard to get a higher heat, so that may need to evaporate before you can get the temps to 300+.

i am cooking it on my 18.5'' WSM. i figured i would cook it at a slightly higher temp than normal so i only filled the water pan to about half.

john i usually keep the vents at least 3/4 open, if not all the way open. the lack of oxygen up here in Colorado will kill the fire if i keep the vents any more closed than that.

Back