Time to try something new

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Made ribs yesterday and they came out pretty good. Gentle tug and they came off the bone. Anyway, I think I'm getting tired of ribs with rubs on them and I don't care for sauced ribs. Has anyone just marinaded ribs and thrown them on the WSM naked?? HOw long would you marinade? Thought about marinading with pineapple juice, apple juice and honey overnight. What marinades would you suggest?

I'll sometimes make my own marinade, but usually if I am in the mood for marinated ribs and don't feel like making it, I'll buy Stubbs Pork Marinade.

It's not cheap ($3-$4 per bottle) but gives a nice change of pace to ribs. Spicy but not hot. I think ginger is what gives it a neat flavor. Let it marinate 6-8 hours, or overnite.

The wife complained about my rub being too spicy, so this weekend I did a half slab with only salt, pepper and some turbinado. Smoked it with half hickory, half apple, and the unrubbed half rack was pretty damn bland, while the rubbed version was oh-so lovely. I think that puts an end to her complaints and ends my trial without rub.

Here is what the Boggy Ponders have used in the past. Use whatever BBQ sauce you would normally use. Note, they will use a rub after marinating.

Boggy Pond Rib Marinade

1 1/2 cups Boggy Pond BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup Apple juice
1/2 cup Dale's Sauce
1/4 cup White vinegar

Mix together and marinate ribs for 6 hours.

Kevin, thanks for the recipe. I also got some others that you had previously submitted using the search feature. The apple ribs marinade looks really good. How much rub do they use after marinating. I was thinking about completely doing away with the rub and smoking it after marinating with just fruit woods and some hickory.

My wife likes dry ribs so I soak hers in salt brine then dry um and smoke um......

she loves um and I can buy more lump and stuff... yes ! Go Jim !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dry um and smoke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
how do you brine them??? Salt and water, anything else?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Lyons:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dry um and smoke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
how do you brine them??? Salt and water, anything else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope ..thats all for my wife.
But I sauce mine a bit 15 minutes before pulling them off.

Hi,
One good friend of mine uses salt and pepper as a rub and then sprays cider vinegar every so often on the ribs as they cook.

I have eaten them many times and they are really good that way. Try it.
Ed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Wheat:
Hi,
One good friend of mine uses salt and pepper as a rub and then sprays cider vinegar every so often on the ribs as they cook.

I have eaten them many times and they are really good that way. Try it.
Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I agree that Salt and Pepper may be good as a rub...and the best thing for a good steak,we're talking about ribs.
icon_wink.gif
I'll agree that salt and pepper...and sugar...and paprika...and a bit of hot (chili powder) are the very BASICS for a rub...I'm pretty sure that most around here have tried that. Really 'good' to eat is a Whole different criterion.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back