Time to clean your gas grill

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
With a summer of grilling behind us and the Labor Day weekend fast approaching, NOW is a good time to give your gas grill a good cleaning!

IMG_3677.jpeg

It is coming time to clean my grill. Not too bad but better now then when cooking!
As the thermometer sweeps past 500, the smoke builds and the grates clean. But if you have leftover marinade or a lot of fatty cooks... conflagration. The drip tray and such, whoosh.
Thanks for the reminder and the step-by-step. Not my first rangeo but always helpful to know we are doing it right.

Last edited:
But if you have leftover maranade or a lot of fatty cooks... conflagration
Yes, we want to avoid this:

I started my journey through the resto Mod of my genesis 2xxx in the spring but, life has gotten in the way so, my “cleaning” has taken me down deep into the rabbit hole and is STILL not done!
Thanks for the post Chris! I don’t see me needing to do it this fall but, next year I’m sure I will!

There's a couple of different tasks involved here.

The one that matters most is the rough scrape and scoop out of the interior of the firebox, flav bars, deflectors and bottom grease tray. Important to suppress grease fires. Which are bad for cooking and also dangerous. You should do the fire box clean out a few times a year.

For my newer Genesis grill with the heat deflectors under the flav bars, I do the rough scrape/scoop every 6-8 weeks. Those deflectors catch and hold a lot of combustible crud up in the firebox. On my Silver B, more stuff makes it down to the grease tray below the fire box where it is less likely to catch fire.

Everything else is cosmetic and does not really impact function or safety.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, Chris!

I was talking with my wife about this earlier this week. We've been using the Genesis EP-320 a LOT this summer with all the hot weather and I haven't cleaned it since early spring, so now that the temps have cooled off, cleaning the grill is #1 on the to-do list this weekend 😀

yes, thanks - I pressure wash our 2005 Genesis once a year when I clean the deck - it does a good enough job on the inside, but the years have taken their toll on the lid - I scored some of the 0000 steal wool, and with a little elbow grease, got the ol' gasser looking pretty respectable this weekend - thanks for the pro tip!

Back