Time to buy charcoal, which one?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I am about out of charcoal and expect my new WSM (one of these days), and want to get several bags of charcoal. I did some reading but not sure what the preferred product is.

Locally, in Central Florida, walmart carries both Kingsford Biquets for $6.80/bg and Royal oak 10 lb bag Charwood for $5.25/bg. Home depot also carries the rancher (update, cowboy, not rancher) but it is $6.99/bg. I usually get the double bag of kingsford at HD for $12 but thought i would check with you first.

I have used it all and I prefer Kingsford you get more for your money buying it at HD or Sam's I really was not that impressed with rancher.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with Jason. I think Rancher is head and shoulders above Kingsford for the smoker. If I could get Rancher and K for basically the same price, there would be no question at all.

I would recommend visiting the Meat Emporium
(407) 856-2100 | 12720 S Orange Blossom TRL # 5, Orlando FL 32837. They were carrying Floresta Lump Charcoal, and, at times, Picnic Lump. The Floresta is packaged by the same people at Picnic, and is some nice, dense South American lump charcoal. I use either regularly.

Rick

Definitely Rancher. I use Kingsford only because I can't find Rancher anywhere. I wish Rancher was more available here. I bought 30 bags a year ago at HD for 2.99 a bag and haven't seen it anywhere since.

Definitely LUMP!
If not lump then between K and Rancher, I'd go with Rancher. Much less off smell, burns a long time. But by far I would go with lump. Much better flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Calhoun:
Wow, I didn't know you could still buy Rancher. Is it worth $6.99 though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ask yourself this. K is about the same price as Rancher. Is K even worth the price? I know this is a matter of opinion but... I say no to K.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'd try to find lump. Between K and Rancher, I'd use Rancher for a WSM cook but for grilling, I didn't like Rancher - too much ash. The ash seems to be very light and blows around onto the food. That was not an issue with the WSM. I'd try to find lump.

found a local place with wicked good lump that has excellent reviews but it is too expensive at $26 for a 22 lb bag. Is that what lump goes for? I ended up buying 3 10 lb bags of Royal Oak Charwood for $5/bag. The reviews on this seem good, I believe.

Also, the HD and bass pro lump i was thinking of is cowboy, not rancher. Same with Lowes.

I use RO lump a fair bit and I have no problems with it. Yes the pieces can be small at times, but the product is consistent doesn't give an sort of unpleasant smell (most important).

I have used some "premium" charwood and there is certainly a difference. For long cooks I like to use the better quality product as I get longer burns and more consistency.

All this said.... you can make good Q with just about anything if you work it the right way!

Slow to change...that's me. I have 10 bags of Kingford and have purchased a few bags of lump.
For some reason, I am resistant to try the lump before running out of kingsford!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
found a local place with wicked good lump that has excellent reviews but it is too expensive at $26 for a 22 lb bag. Is that what lump goes for? I ended up buying 3 10 lb bags of Royal Oak Charwood for $5/bag. The reviews on this seem good, I believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WOW! $26.00 for 22 lbs. is steep, very steep.
icon_eek.gif
I pay $22.00 for a 40 lb. bag of Humphrey's Lump.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
found a local place with wicked good lump that has excellent reviews but it is too expensive at $26 for a 22 lb bag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can get it for less than $14 per 22 lb bag from their website. Freight may be an issue. I pay about $54 total for 66 lbs delivered to my front door.

Found kingsford at HD last spring for 8.98 for a twin pack of 20lbs bags. Bought 10 twin packs and down to 3 20lbs bags. Hope I can find it that cheap again. Never tried rancher but they don't sell it around here.

At this point there is no question in my mind...BUY ALL OF THE RANCHER YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON!!

They don't sell it up here in Cleveland anymore but that has been the best fuel I have found for the WSM when it comes to a briquette form. I never really used lump.

The ash from the Rancher is so much less than KF and there is no icky smell on start up either...it is really a great product!

i'm with dave/g on this one. just got the 66 lbs for $54 last month. great stuff, delivered, and has advantages of both- long, even burn, no questionable chemical stuff. hey, when it comes to the food i eat, sometimes saving a buck isn't the priority.

I have used Duraflame Briquettes with great success. They are natural with only starch binders and there is no off smell as in K.I do not think that I will use K again.
I must admit that I cannot find it (Duraflame) in the stores locally (even though I live in town). I am fortunate in that I can order and pick up within a couple of days. I have not used their lump. If you want to use thier products and cannot find them in stores, they will ship them to you.

Back