time question

JimmyF

Using the minion method on an 18.5 WSM. I put a full ring of unlit coals and placed a full lit chimney on top of that. I had 10 hours of steady 225 deg temp, at that point my temp started to drop to 200. I added half chimney of coals to maintain ny 225 temp. Is this considered good?

Jimmy,
You will get longer burns by starting with less lit. A full chimney of lit burns through the unlit faster than a normal MM with about 15-20 lit coals.

Thanks Dave. I just piled on the coals and placed the water pan on top. perhaps it was sitting right on top of the coals. Ill try less on my next overnight butt.

Originally posted by JimmyF:
I just piled on the coals and placed the water pan on top. perhaps it was sitting right on top of the coals.

It must have been a real squeeze for you to get a full chimney of lit on top of a full ring of unlit. Yes, watch that water pan. Load the ring, add the lit, wood and meat and you're off.

wait, you placed the water pan directly onto the burning coals? I saw Bobby Flay do that on TV but it's certainly not the correct way to set up the WSM.

Originally posted by JimmyF:
perhaps it was sitting right on top of the coals. (QUOTE)
I figured Jimmy realized that by his comment above, but your point is well taken.

Back