Time for some ribs today

Looks like St Louis. What time should I be there? I REALLY would like to see finished product pics. I can do "pretty darn good" on SL ribs. I cannot get the store quality back ribs to work out at all. So I quit buying them. I've never tried doing the SL ones at 250 til done. So REALLY want to see how yours go for you. Hell the first photo looks good enough to eat as is :D

I like to run hotter with the loin ribs, low and slow works but they are not as juicy when smoked unwrapped. Heck, both ways work and taste great, just my preference.

Last time I made St Louis ribs they took about 5 hrs and I thought hey could have gone another 30 minutes or more. I'll post some pics later, still have to make my cole slaw and get some fresh corn.

Been a couple of months since making regular ribs, usually do baby back loin ribs. I did a mustard base and seasoned with garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika and fresh ground black pepper. I'm going to smoke them at 250F until done, no wrap, no spray.

View attachment 89900
I like how you make your own rub. Average cost of rubs I see at the local Ace Hardware is $12-$15. The smoked paprika is distinctly different than plain paprika for sure.

Been using Weber rubs for years as stand alone or mixed with other homemade rubs. Like stated above most commercial rubs have too much salt or sugar or both
Been using my homemade rib rub for over forty years now it is a little heavy on the brown sugar, but doesn't taste at all sweet so see no need to change.

Last edited:
Well first off SHE sounds like a keeper! Second they look awesome. I'd not thought of trying them at higher heats. Now, I am assuming these were not "butcher bought" but perhaps supermarket, Sam's, Costco or such. Asking as the bones looked pretty large. Sis you happen to "temp" them? Do you recall (if so) what they temp'd at when you puled them? I have never been able to achieve that type of result with the "store bought" type ribs. So for you to show me that makes me think "There is Hope Yet!"

Final temp check was 186f. Supermarket ribs on sale, impulse buy. Next time I make them it will be at 275f, it's the sweet spot on my SmokeFire. I can get similar results with the higher temp setting and as a bonus, be eating sooner. 🍻
Cool thanks for the info. This will be on my list to try

Those ribs look great I mostly do back ribs, family not a fan of St Louis and they need to be close to fall off the bone. I always cook at 275 and generally using the method I got from Harry they usually take about 4 1/2 hours. St Louis would take longer but its been along time since I have done them.

I only use the brown sugar, honey, fake butter and my own rub when foiling, for liquid whatever I got lying around have used the Mango he has in the video also used orange juice with good results.

Back