Time crunch smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze pork butt smoking in between work and sleep on a weekday. I work from 8am-5pm and I go to bed at 10pm. I was thinking if I light up the grill around 6am and throw them on around 7am, I could let them smoke and they should be done around 8-10pm that night. I have two butts totaling 15lbs (around 7.5 lbs each). I figure around 2 hours per pound. How does everyone else squeeze butt smoking between jobs and sleep on a weekday??? I hate waiting until the weekend.

Hi Russ.....

There are a couple of things you can try that will speed up the cooking time. I have not tried either of these, though have read many who have.

Higher heat...you can go clear up to 325?.

Score the butts....cut deeply, right to the bone. If you make several of these cuts, you can cut your time by quite a bit.

On the other hand, you could cook massive quantities on the weekend...it stores very well.

Or are you saying that 15 pounds of butt will only last a few days?

Well I can usually make 15lbs of butts last about a week, as I usually eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But sometimes I don't have time on the weekend and then I'm at a loss for what to eat during the week (such a dilemma). So I need to smoke 'em during the week.

I guess I could revert to lunch meat or something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back