Time Between Coats- Rustoleum High Heat Ultra

RobertJohnson

I am just about ready to paint by Genesis Silver B refurb and I am a little confused on the time between coats. It says after 1 hour or 48 hours. How long did you guys wait?

I was planning on doing 3 coats. 2 coats the first day and then a final coat 24 hours later. Does this sound like a good plan or could I get all coats in 1 day? Thanks for all the help!!

I did two coats in one afternoon, consequently, I’d go ahead and do the three coats in one day (an hour apart) and let it cure out for a couple of days.
Some of the serious restoration guys like Bruce or Stefan et al. might be able to give you more solid opinion.
Now, after it cured out, mine shows a few spots where I could have done a better job in prep so, I might re-do the end caps with the ultra high heat semi-gloss. When I first did the $20 Genny, I couldn’t find the semi gloss so, that might be the first summer project. I found the paint last fall. Projects, projects, projects!

I did two coats in one afternoon, consequently, I’d go ahead and do the three coats in one day (an hour apart) and let it cure out for a couple of days.
Some of the serious restoration guys like Bruce or Stefan et al. might be able to give you more solid opinion.
Now, after it cured out, mine shows a few spots where I could have done a better job in prep so, I might re-do the end caps with the ultra high heat semi-gloss. When I first did the $20 Genny, I couldn’t find the semi gloss so, that might be the first summer project. I found the paint last fall. Projects, projects, projects!
Great. I was think of doing the 3rd coat after 24 hours and just do a light sanding before to smooth out any spots. Thanks!

All three coats and I would throw another coat on as soon as the previous one dries. You can probably get all three coats on in less than one hour if it is warm and low humidity out. If you wait more than an hour, then you better take head and wait a full 24 hours or you may wind up having to strip it and start over. I know this by experience.

If you do sanding in between, then you probably should wait the 24 hours at least.

All three coats and I would throw another coat on as soon as the previous one dries. You can probably get all three coats on in less than one hour if it is warm and low humidity out. If you wait more than an hour, then you better take head and wait a full 24 hours or you may wind up having to strip it and start over. I know this by experience.

If you do sanding in between, then you probably should wait the 24 hours at least.
Thanks Bruce! It’ll only be around 50 here today so maybe 55-60 in my garage. I would assume the most would be a coat every 30-45 minutes at these temps?

I hit some areas with the VHT Rust Converter 2 days ago. I plan on doing a light sand and clean with some Acetone before I paint today. I’m hoping as long as everything goes as planned, I may not have to sand.

Back