Tieing 2 chuck roasts for PSB ?

Sandy B

TVWBB Super Fan
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have 2 x 2.5 lb chuck roasts that I want to use for PSB. i would have prefered one big roast but that ship has sailed. Can I tie the two together, pepper the outside and smoke it as one big piece? Or is it better to smoke them independently with only pepper on one side but smoke on both before braising them?

Thanks,

Sandy

Why not treat them as they are, two separate pieces of meat, and season them accordingly? Are you afraid of it tasting like too much pepper?

I've done PSB several times, and have always used 2 chuck roasts weighing 2-3 pounds. I have never tied them together. Just as Mike said, treat them as they are.

Why not treat them as they are, two separate pieces of meat, and season them accordingly? Are you afraid of it tasting like too much pepper?

yeah that and too much surface area for smoke. i know it will eventually be shredded but its like the differece between roasts and steaks.

im also kind of used to the timing of a four pound roast.

Well as for timing, if it hits your temp earlier than expected you can always wrap it and let it rest prior to adding to the peppers and whatnot for the braise portion. As far as too much smoke and pepper, I don't think you really should worry about that, at least I wouldn't. I think of it like doing pulled pork, many people will cut their butts in order to get more surface area on the smoker. Give it a try, blame me if it isn't up to snuff. :)

Back