Thursday's smoke

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
Its thurs. so it must be my smoking day. Electricity has been touch and go for the last couple of days, because of recent thunderstormss (phone still out) so I canceled my plans to do an overnight brisket - due to refrigeration issues. So I went down to my local butcher's this morning and picked up two fresh chickens. Plan on B/C one, and the other I brined. Want to see if there is a difference. Putting them on the gasser. Using peach chips to smoke. Picked up two (farm raised from Canada) Salmon fillets and have them ready to get under the fan to get "tacky". Used Shawn244 brine recipe. Also found some Catfish fillets on sale (farm raised), about 3/4 lbs. apiece. Using Keri's brine recipe on them. Using peach and cherry woodchips for smoke. Gotta get some Alder. Plan on being at the Cabela's/KCBS in Dundee MI on the 19th and hope to pick up some from them. Gonna be a good day.

Anybody else smoking today, or am I all by my lonesome?

Know anyone in Holland? I'll be there tonight or in the early a.m. Gotta bunch of alder with me. No cooking tonight, obviously, but from Saturday on, for several days anyway, I sure will be.

Sorry Kevin, don't know anyone in Holland, but thanks for the offer. Very very generous of you. I hope your impression of West Michigan doesn't ride on Sam's
icon_wink.gif
. It is a very nice place to raise a family, especially during the summer. By the way, if you drove on the new section of M-31 coming out of Muskegon towards Holland, by wife helped design that project. She's an Engineer for Mdot.

Just pulled the chicken off and tented with foil. They both look good. Fish have been in the smoker now for about an hour, but having trouble getting the temp down to 220. All bottom vents closed and temp at 250 and slowly dropping.

Too bad you don't have a cousin or old girlfriend(!) in the area that could shoot over and grab some wood.

Nope, I rather like Mich--Sam's notwithstanding!

Wow what a great time to come to Michigan. First taste of summer we have had this year I beleive. Last time we hit 80 we had 6 inches of the snow the next lol. Wish I didn't have to work this weekend or I would have made the ride. I am over here in Thumb and only 13 miles from the lake. Hope you have a good weekend and enjoy all this wonderful humidity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Know anyone in Holland? I'll be there tonight or in the early a.m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, Kevin... where aren't you on any given day?
icon_smile.gif

Wasn't there a kids show, "where in the world is carmen san diego?" We should have a TVWBB game... where in the U.S. is Kevin Kruger today.

Winner gets treated to kevin's que next time he's drives by (undoubtedly will be soon)

Good for you, man. You see all the country all the time.

Oh, and you can drop off some brisket next time you pass by Stamford, CT on I-95. I'll be sitting on the side of the highway waiting. I'm sure you be driving by in the next day or so.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and you can drop off some brisket next time you pass by Stamford, CT </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Smoked or fresh?
icon_smile.gif

Actually, if you are unable to get packers there I'd be happy to bring you up a couple when I have a direct run up. (I nearly always have a bunch of wood with me as well.)

hey... just saw this. If you come up these ways, let me know. I'll pay for a packer or the opportunity to get some wood other than hickory...

I'll let you know. On the way to L.A. now.

You can pay me whatever I paid for the packer. As for the wood I do not pay for it. I nearly always have a bunch with me: pear, apple, alder, at the moment, plus some tangerine wood for Jim Minion for whenever I'm next in Washington.

Hey Kevin, if you ever have to take your rig to Australia to drop off some wood to the guys over there, I wouldn't mind hopping a ride.
icon_wink.gif

I would love to go back. I spent the summer tooling around the South Pacific in '86 waiting for the restaurant to which I'd contracted to chef was ready to open on Miami Beach. I had an amazing time--Australia was particularly incredible. One of these days...but time--well, let's just say that I'm blown away that it's been aslmost twenty years.

Go. Save a little cash and go. Really.

Isn't it just incredible how the days fly by. It didn't really hit me how quickly life moves until I got into my forties. Now, I just turn around and shake my head and "wonder sometimes where they've gone"

Back