Thursday Spare Ribs

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife picked up a cryopak of spares. It had been a while since we had some ribs and I had been talking about it. So this afternoon I decided to trim them up, rub them down, and put them in the WSM.

I had some Tasty Licks sample packs. I am not certain how one is suppose to use a sample pack; there's not enough rub to rub anything with. So I tried to find complementary rubs. It ended up being a hodge podge. I had some leftover cajun rub that really "highlighted" one of the racks.

Fired up the WSM with some RO lump and a few knuckles of hickory. I cooked them for slightly over five hours, foiling in-between.

Living in the Garden State, fresh corn is running right now. Yummy! We had some beans as well.

The ribs were wonderful. The mix of rubs was interesting. I believe this is the first time my wife did not add barbecue sauce to ribs.
icon_smile.gif

It's nice having summers off. Five hour cooks on weekdays will be coming to an end soon.

3841522854_e7a64e7e0d.jpg

You done pretty darn good on those ribs - looking at that ring, excellent.

We've been eating the Jersey sweet corn as well over the last several weeks. The local weekly open farmers market in the town lot has had it steady. So good!!

Ribs look Darn good there RD, great job man.
icon_cool.gif
And yummy to the corn right now. Been getting some killer Providence Bread and Butter corn from the Amish farm. Best corn I ever ate. Yep to your summer fun coming to an end soon.
icon_frown.gif
Aug 31st is when they go back here in Lanc.

Great smoke ring, and nice lookin ribs. I have some good looking spares in my fridge, for this Sunday's cook. What temp did you smoke yours at? When did you foil, and how long in the foil? Did you use a water pan? I want to make sure, my spares comes out very good this weekend. Thanks for the pics, they sure look very yummy!!!!

Between Gary's porterhouse and now your ribs, I really don't know what I want to cook this weekend! Man those ribs look great!!! Moist and tender!!! Fantastic!

The ribs were nice and tender. I went into the cook thinking I was going to go 3-2-1 as I have never, I do not think, ever actually gone that route completely. I didn't yesterday either.
icon_smile.gif

WSM ran 225-250 throughout. I foiled at three hours. I added some cranberry-grape juice at that point. They were in foil for less than hours. I always worry that ribs will become mushy if I go the full two hours. I finished unfoiled for at most 30 minutes while I prepared the rest of the meal.

I use the clay saucer instead of water. As a matter of fact, I have never used water in my WSM.

I look forward to seeing your ribs.

Great lookin ribs RD. I guess I'll need to start cookin now cause I"M STARVING after seeing you ribs. Thanks for sharing.

I've played with 3-2-1 a bunch of times. Don't think the ribs were ever foiled for 2 hours. If I remember correctly only once did I go to 1.5 hrs. The other times were an hour or just a hair over.

Same concern as yours. I don't like ribs falling off the bone/sloppy. I like to have some bite or pull to them.

I tried the 3-2-1 thing with ribs but have gone back to just smoking them for 6-7 hours at 240 lid temp. The ribs turn out just s good and there is less fuss to cook them.

Back