Throwdown #8 - Ground Stuff

Whose ground meat dish shall reign supreme?

• Chad Anderson: Turducken Loaf

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • RCBaughn: Steak Tartare

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Dwain Pannell: Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • JimK: Chicken, Chorizo, and Cheese Stuffed Poblanos

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Arwin: Chickenburger

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Kim Drana: BisonBuffalo Burger

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • John Osmond: SPAM Kabobs

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • RCBaughn: Lamb Burger

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congrats to a well deserved Win Cory! And a big shout out to all contenders/voters. This was a great run.

What do yall think about pork for the next one? Or maybe do one certain pork cut? Totally up to y'all, I just know that pork is cheap and awesome and can be smoked or grilled. A lot of variety for sure.

I like the idea of pork. My opinion (and that's all it is) is that it should be a little more specific. Maybe a specific cut, or specific pork dish? Just my thoughts for whatever that's worth. I think if the secret ingredient is a little more specific, you'll get people thinking about more unique ways to prepare and present that dish or ingredient.

Yeah, certain cuts can really can only go so many ways like ribs and pork loins. Only so many ways that they can really be used, ham kind of follows that line of preps too. Maybe I'm not thinking along the wrong lines here.

Boston butts are a low and slow prep only really but I guess there is a lot that can be done with it. It could be incorporated into into a variety of dishes that could be grilled, like a barbeque pizza or a barbecue taco/chimichangas. There's really a lot that can be done there I suppose. Stuffed veggies, grilled sandwiches. Boston butt is usually the cut used for ground pork dishes too right? Definitely a lot that could be done there if it is.

Bacon may be a good one too but as far as I can think it's normally paired with another cut of meat. Kind of hard for me to think of a dish that uses bacon only as the highlight and is a main course. A lot of bacon wrapped items for sure though.

So probably bacon or butts. With butts though it would really probably be easier to keep the focus on the pork and not just using the cut as a seasoning like bacon so often is. IDK, anyone that can chime in please do. I would really really really like for this one to turn out good and fun. I want to show appreciation, especially for everyone that participated in the last one and making it so good, by coming up with a successful topic this time around. This forum is one of the best I've seen at people actually engaging in stuff like these competitions. The pizza forum that I am signed up on and very active has actually just ended their challenges because people weren't participating. I would hate for my choice to prove to be a flop. Thanks ahead though for any help here guys and gals.

What about pork tenderloin, RC? I'm sure folks have a lot of different recipes and tenderloins aren't terribly involved, so you might have a bunch of entries. And it narrows it down to something fairly specific. Just a thought.

Yeah, certain cuts can really can only go so many ways like ribs and pork loins. Only so many ways that they can really be used, ham kind of follows that line of preps too. Maybe I'm not thinking along the wrong lines here.

Boston butts are a low and slow prep only really but I guess there is a lot that can be done with it. It could be incorporated into into a variety of dishes that could be grilled, like a barbeque pizza or a barbecue taco/chimichangas. There's really a lot that can be done there I suppose. Stuffed veggies, grilled sandwiches. Boston butt is usually the cut used for ground pork dishes too right? Definitely a lot that could be done there if it is.

Bacon may be a good one too but as far as I can think it's normally paired with another cut of meat. Kind of hard for me to think of a dish that uses bacon only as the highlight and is a main course. A lot of bacon wrapped items for sure though.

So probably bacon or butts. With butts though it would really probably be easier to keep the focus on the pork and not just using the cut as a seasoning like bacon so often is. IDK, anyone that can chime in please do. I would really really really like for this one to turn out good and fun. I want to show appreciation, especially for everyone that participated in the last one and making it so good, by coming up with a successful topic this time around. This forum is one of the best I've seen at people actually engaging in stuff like these competitions. The pizza forum that I am signed up on and very active has actually just ended their challenges because people weren't participating. I would hate for my choice to prove to be a flop. Thanks ahead though for any help here guys and gals.

No offense meant here, I certainly understand your reservations. That being said; I think you are putting undue stress on yourself in making the choice. My advice it just to pick an ingredient or dish and let it roll. There will never be an ingredient that appeals to all on the forum at one time. Those that contribute dishes will make the choice successful and fun. For me the fun is trying to get creative with the challenge. Granted I'm new here and I've only entered one. I meant to enter the ground challenge, but my wife got appendicitis.

So in a long-winded way I'm, saying "throw out that ingredient and let's get it on"!

PS. Tenderloin.

A word of caution: the more broad you make it, the harder it is to cook/plan and the harder it is to judge.

RC - when you've decided, just start a new thread in this section. Don't worry, there's no wrong answer.

Ditto with what Cain & Des said, I'd narrow it down to a particular cut that interests *you*. Whatever you pick, you can count on my participation. I WANT A REMATCH:D

Last edited:

Back