Throwdown #4 - Burgers

My throwdown entry is an adaptation of Mavericks’ Butter Burger. Maverick is a great joint in San Francisco’s Mission district.

We started out with local natural beef chuck from Emerson Dell Farm. We cubed and seasoned, and then partial froze it prior to grinding:

6954632612_c048057e14_z.jpg

Next we ground the beef with butter - Lots of butter:

6954632680_1cd12a224f_z.jpg

we then formed patties, and sealed them with more butter in preparation for sous vide:

7100702367_61839158eb_z.jpg

It was at this precise moment I realized we didn't own a sous vide tank - Doh! As we all know, outdoor cooking and BBQ is all about the ability to make adjustments. I headed out to the garage and grabbed a few things:

A Smokey Joe, a number 12 Lodge and tripod might just be the the ticket!

7100702477_c402e1e7c1_z.jpg

We cooked them at 52 degrees Celsius for about 25 minutes.

7100702663_eab6eb1d0e_z.jpg

We then did some fries and seared the burgers:

6954633178_dcb60e8acf_z.jpg

We served them on homemade buns with all the fixin's with a side of slaw. We poured a 2009 Capiaux Pisoni Vineyard Pinot. They were pretty good!

6954632532_64f8546b87_z.jpg

Monster Juicy Lucy

I’ve been working on burger ideas for quite some time, and finally made this Monster on Friday night. I really like how this shows the versatility of the WSM, and after this dinner we actually par-cooked some ABTs for my niece’s birthday party today.

Prep Picture 1 – Ingredients

DSC_0192-1.jpg

Focaccia dough (using the recipe from the baking section on here), one pound of ground beef, about 6 ounces of pepperjack cheese that I smoked a few weekends ago, Hawaiian sea salt, black pepper, olive oil and Penzey’s Chicago Steak seasoning.

Prep Picture 2 – Building

DSC_0201-1.jpg

While the bullet was preheating, I made the burgers. The beef was split into two 8-ounce lumps then pressed into two wax paper-lined saucers, then seasoned and filled with cheese. Both halves were then pressed together trapping the smoked pepperjack in the middle, and with a lot of luck remained that way. The dough was also halved and roughly shaped into hamburger buns (I hedged my bets and made a spare bun).

Prep Picture 3 – Baking

DSC_0203.jpg

Focaccia dough on a pizza stone, water bowl removed, WSM cranked up to approximately 400 degrees. The dough was olive oiled then seasoned with sea salt, Aleppo pepper and black pepper.

Prep Picture 4 – Grilling

DSC_0206-1.jpg

While the bread rested, the burger was grilled. I removed the middle section and cooked the Monster Lucy over the coals using the grill grate from my kettle.

Plated Picture

DSC_0226-1.jpg

The “bun” was split, then topped with mayo, roughly 15 pickle slices and 3 whole leaves of Romaine lettuce. Burger added then the whole thing quartered. I’d love to show you pictures of the entire burger and also just the burger cut in half with the cheese at full ooze, but have to stick to the 4 prep and 1 plated limit. This was a very fun cook, and probably a little lucky. This was my first time baking in the WSM (or baking bread for that matter), and my first time making an enormous burger – but it won’t be the last time for either. Great contest!

(My apologies to Brian and Earl, since there’s a lot of similarities to your cooks here. I was too busy watching the Pens-Flyers game and drinking Noble Pils last night to get this posted.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It was at this precise moment I realized we didn't own a sous vide tank - Doh! As we all know, outdoor cooking and BBQ is all about the ability to make adjustments. I headed out to the garage and grabbed a few things:

A Smokey Joe, a number 12 Lodge and tripod might just be the the ticket </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice work on the bait and switch
icon_wink.gif
. Besides setting up a funny joke, that's the coolest sv rig ever!

Wow all great burger cooks... nice work.

Peter that setup and last plated picture was simply amazing(great choice of wine as well)

Nice work

Since this is already a landslide for Don, I'm going to take the liberty of posting the 6th picture that I couldn't post earlier. This is what happens when you cut a 1 lb. Juicy Lucy in half.

DSC_0219-1.jpg

Nice burgers everyone and congrats to Don! Can't wait to see what you pick for the next challenge.

I am going to vote, but just can't decide which one to vote for.
icon_confused.gif

They all look incredible, I wish we could do a taste test to help us decide.
icon_wink.gif

Back