Throwdown #29: Corn

I'm not eligible to win a throwdown, but here's my entry.

Husk-Grilled Corn with Brown Sugar-Cayenne Butter
Cook's Country Magazine, June/July 2015

Make a batch of the butter mixture:

Brown Sugar-Cayenne Butter
Makes enough for 6 ears of corn
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Stir ingredients until smooth and combined.

Make a little foil boat to hold the butter mixture: Tear a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil 12" x 14". Fold in half to 12" x 7". Roll up sides and crimp to form a boat just big enough to hold an ear of corn.

Place butter mixture into foil boat.

Cut silk from ends of corn. Put corn straight onto ripping hot grill (corn is not soaked in water) and close lid. Cook 3 minutes, give corn 1/4 turn, repeat for a total of 12 minutes. Corn is cooked when you pull back husk to reveal steaming corn and bright yellow kernels.

Remove corn to cutting board. Cut off stem ends. Handling corn with a towel, carefully remove husk and silk. Roll corn in the butter mixture and return to the grill with lid open. Grill will flare-up initially due to butter and there will be some popping noises. Move corn around, turning frequently until there is some char, maybe 3-5 minutes max. If you see any soot on the corn due to burned butter from the initial flare-up, gently wipe it off with the towel. (My grill was absolutely ripping hot, the butter was almost explosive, and I got a little soot on one end of one ear.)

Remove corn from the grill. Roll again in the butter mixture. Serve with any leftover butter on the side. Sweet with a little heat. Slight caramel corn note.

IMG_5320_zpsovxlddle.jpg

IMG_5319_zpswtemqpnu.jpg

IMG_5326_zpsh8kfjwte.jpg

IMG_5327_zpsqpbkhnhn.jpg

IMG_5329_zpskhdppfro.jpg

IMG_5330_zpsmsieappp.jpg

IMG_5333_zpsg6ejgt9n.jpg

IMG_5338_zps7xwvtk1v.jpg

IMG_5339_zps1onadrme.jpg

Here is my entry into Throwdown 29 Corn

Savory Corn Cobbler

Wanted to do something a little different with my grilled corn. This sounded good so I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed.

Fresh yellow corn.

Yielded about 4 cups of corn.

Sauteed some sliced scallions and minced jalapeno in butter. Added the corn and chicken broth. Cooked for about 4 minutes.

Into the baking dish along with some heavy cream.

Getting the dough topping ready. Added some fresh thyme.

On the grill.

After about 50 minutes.

This was a delicious!!! Thanks for looking.

Chorizo Grilled Bean and Cheese Stuffed Poblanos and Fresh Grilled Corn Saute with Red Pepper, Onion, and Bacon

The wife and I have been craving Mexican food lately. For my entry into the Corn Throwdown, I decided to incorporate grilled corn with some sort of Mexican food dish. So, here is what Icame up with.

All the characters here

Main character getting grilled

My little darling enjoying her corn

Chorizo and onions melting together

Grilled corn sauté and stuff peppers hanging out together

Close up

The Final

FEISTA!

WOW!!! You took that to a new level I like it a lot. Will you share the total recipe with us? Thanks:)

Back