Throwdown #11: Shellfish

Here's my entry. Crab-stuffed bacon-wrapped shrimp with a basil cream sauce, and grilled mussels with chorizo. Started with some 16 count shrimp, made a crab stuffing and wrapped them in homemade bacon. Finished them off with the basil cream sauce, and then did the mussels.

The shrimp ingredients:

IMG_1322_zps9d2592d2.jpg

Butterflied the shrimp and filled with crab stuffing (lump crab, scallions, green pepper, cracker crumbs, mustard, mayo, egg, lemon juice, parsley):

IMG_1325_zpsca0d136a.jpg

Wrapped in bacon:

IMG_1326_zpsfb8b2ac1.jpg

On the Performer at 270-300 degrees with a little pecan wood:

IMG_1328_zps680b67d1.jpg

Pulled after about 45 minutes and into the oven to keep warm:

IMG_1332_zps87b6d1cf.jpg

Ingredients for grilled mussels (mussels, grilled chorizo sausage, shallots, white wine, butter, heavy cream, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic):

IMG_1331_zps77ed0141.jpg

Brought everything but the mussels and sausage to a low boil over direct heat, then added mussels and sausage:

IMG_1334_zps86f8464a.jpg

Covered for 7 or 8 minutes until the mussels opened up:

IMG_1335_zps141fcdd3.jpg

While the shrimp were cooking and before I started the mussels, I made a basil (pesto) cream sauce and drizzled it over the shrimp:

IMG_1336_zpsa174e351.jpg

Here's the full meal (just for scale, that plate is over 12" in diameter) with rice, bread, and a Schlafly Pale Ale:

IMG_1337_zpsbd5468cf.jpg

Everything turned out pretty well. Nice entries, everyone. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
Yeah I was gonna do them tonight to enter them, but I just left them frozen because I wouldn't want to break any guidelines on the comp, and it gives me more time to find out the best way to cook them will be.

I sure wouldn't want to possibly win with a dish that isn't made from a "true" shellfish. So much good stuff here though, I highly, highly doubt that would've happened anyway. Lot's of great cooks on this one.

RC, I'd be interested in how those cook and taste when you do them.......pictures are one thing, how they taste is the only thing that really matters. Please post up when you do them......heck, maybe the winner of this one will choose squid & family for next challenge:)........................d

I was inspired by the recipe for garides saganaki, Greek roasted shrimp and feta cheese, served over Greek lemon rice. We've made this before at home, but I thought it would be fun to do a my version on the OTG.

First things first: the lemon rice.
DSC_0163_zpsd7189ccf.jpg

Sauté the rice with a 1/2 stick of butter. When translucent, add salt and pepper, 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer gently until 90% of the broth is absorbed. Put the lid on and simmer another 15 minutes. Let rest for another 15 before removing the lid to fluff the rice.
DSC_0164_zps52cc8496.jpg

Sear the peeled shrimp, seasoned with a little salt and pepper. No need to completely cook the shrimp -- they'll be cooked some more shortly.
DSC_0162_zps6a0d3dff.jpg

The original dish is done in a pan or casserole dish. My version is grilled in sweet peppers and poblanos. Here they are halved seeded.
DSC_0165_zpse4fe6a69.jpg

Shrimp and feta cheese is stuffed into the peppers, and topped with a dollop of tomato sauce. Sauce was simple sauteed garlic and shallot, with Greek oregano, salt, pepper and and a dash of chili flakes.
DSC_0166_zpsd198777f.jpg

A drizzle of olive oil over the top and onto the grill.
DSC_0169_zps3fe4531c.jpg

A wire rack helped keep everyone upright on the grill. Grill until peppers are tender.
DSC_0170_zps76e3ada1.jpg

Served over the bright and creamy lemon rice. Grilled or otherwise, an easy dish worth making.
DSC_0173_zps2c608a61.jpg

Back