Throw out WSM grate? Safe to use?

Werner

TVWBB Member
Hi...

After cleaning the WSM weeks ago, I put the grate in the garage on the floor which we later found out the cat had peed.

Is this even safe to use after cleaning or should I just throw it out and buy a new one? Its still in great shape so I hate to throw it out but also dont want to be disgusted or unsafe.

Thanks

Werner

Seriously? Wash it well and if your still concerned throw it over a hot fire for a bit.

Yes I am serious. It was leaned up against a big gorilla rack in the garage. Only one portion was touching the cement since it was leaning vertically against the rack, but smelled that the cat had peed in that area after getting locked in there for the night by accident. I usually just put it back in the smoker but didnt this time and only noticed the cat smell today.

For the record I live in a rural area.

Never mind and sorry for posting.

Thanks for the help

Werner you shouldn't apologize for asking a basic question.
icon_smile.gif

I'm a Carpenter and dog or cat urine is very corrosive to metals IME. Galvanized or Zinc plated fasteners will fail if left in direct contact over time. Now the nickel plated grate on the WSM will hold up with a simple wash and pre-heat.

Tim

Wash it up good, heat it up good, and then get back to business with it. Above all, never apologize for asking a legitimate question. That's why these boards exist.

I don't mean to gross you out more, Werner, but we've had cases where mice build nests inside of the WSM, or spiders and bugs take up residence inside the cooker, or mold/mildew forms on the inside walls of the cooker.

In all cases, a good wash/scrub with hot, soapy water, a rinse, and then a hot fire will make things safe and sanitary.

But grates are cheap, so if it bugs you, do what Alan said.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Werner, Sorry if I came accross curt with my reply. To me it just was such a non issue. However, I certainly can see why it might bug you enough to replace it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Powers:
If it was mine I would rinse it with a bleach solution after washing because it would gross me out too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just be aware that bleach is very corrosive to metals, so of you must use bleach rinse well, but a good wash then heat sterilizing would be my choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
Werner, Sorry if I came accross curt with my reply. To me it just was such a non issue. However, I certainly can see why it might bug you enough to replace it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Likewise -- I suspect Chris took care of my post.
icon_redface.gif

Rich

Thanks again everybody...

Re Rich and Mark, no worries. I was a little reluctant to post before posting such a question, so was probably already a little testy myself. Thought better safe than sorry, oh well

Off to do a few ribs for fathers day. Thanks again

Back