Three Pork Butt Questions

Dick Green

First Question: Should I remove the fat cap or not?

Most of the recipes I see say to remove the fat cap. I recently saw one (can't remember where) that said to leave the fat cap on to shield the butt from the heat and keep it from drying out. I've tried it both ways. First time I removed the cap and the butt was a little dry. The second time I left the cap in place, but trimmed it down to no more than 1/8". The meat was nice and moist. But I also injected that butt, which I didn't do on the first one, so there were two variables in play.

So -- remove the fat cap or not?

Second question: Should I tie the butt with twine?

My butts don't come tied and most of the recipes I see don't mention tying the butt. But I did see one that recommended it. Seems to me this might promote more even cooking, but the cook would take longer because the average thickness would be greater?

So -- should I tie the butt or not?

Third question: What's a good price for quality port butt?

I've been buying my pork butts at BJs. They sell Swift Premium for about $2.00 per pound ($15 for a 7-8 lb Boston Butt). My local grocer just got some Indiana Kitchen Natural port butts that are $3.29 per pound ($26.45 for an 8 lb butt). I've seen a post or two about Swift meats not being very good. The Swift butts I've gotten at BJs are good, but I can't say the same about some Swift Premium St. Louis cut ribs I got there. I'm curious whether the higher-priced meat would be any better, given that we're talking about a cooking method that's supposed to transform cheap cuts in to wonderful meals?

So -- any comments on Swift Premium or Indiana Kitchen? What should I be paying for good-quality port butt? (Yeah, I know that's two questions... :))

Post this in the Barbeque forum and you'll get some replies.

If I feel like it I'll trim a little more, but lately I've only been trimming the thick spots and scoring. I think that the slower you cook the more you should trim to get better bark. Never smoked boneless butts so I can't help with tying. Pork and beef prices have skyrocketed. Swift meats are just fine as far as commodity pork goes. I'd just stay away from enhanced and stick with natural. We're too poor for small farm heritage breeds pork.

I always trim all the visible fat off mine. There is enough intramuscular fat that the butt should be moist and tender after a long slow cook. I also find that the fat inhibits the bark creation and that is my favorite part. I also never tie mine. If I was cooking something fast i might but in low and slow I don't see the need.

I don't remove anything from a butt.

In fact, the best part of the butt is the thin layer of meat between the false fat cap and the fat cap itself.

Back