Thoughts on a Butt/Ribs/ABTs for tomorrow

Bryan J

I am taking advantge of the beautiful weather here in PA this weekend, no wind, no cloud, 70's, amazing!

I am cooking an 8 lb butt, 3 racks of baby backs and 20 ABTs. I am not worried about the butt, that is an overnighter to be ready tomrrow around noon, foil and place in cooler till ready to eat.

However, like I said I am making 3 racks and ABT's too. I want all to be ready together.

So I am cooking the butt overnight, take off when done (around 12 noon) then throw on 3 racks for 4hrs, then ABTs for 1 1/2 hours.

I was thinking about space. I have the orig WSM. I was thinking about cutting the BB ribs in 1/2 and put them on the bottom rack, and when the ABT's go one, put them on top.

Is it ok to cut the BB ribs in half to fit or should I skewer them? I have never skewered and I am honestly worried that they will not cook in the same time (4-5) hrs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan J:
I am taking advantge of the beautiful weather here in PA this weekend, no wind, no cloud, 70's, amazing!

I am cooking an 8 lb butt, 3 racks of baby backs and 20 ABTs. I am not worried about the butt, that is an overnighter to be ready tomrrow around noon, foil and place in cooler till ready to eat.

However, like I said I am making 3 racks and ABT's too. I want all to be ready together.

So I am cooking the butt overnight, take off when done (around 12 noon) then throw on 3 racks for 4hrs, then ABTs for 1 1/2 hours.

I was thinking about space. I have the orig WSM. I was thinking about cutting the BB ribs in 1/2 and put them on the bottom rack, and when the ABT's go one, put them on top.

Is it ok to cut the BB ribs in half to fit or should I skewer them? I have never skewered and I am honestly worried that they will not cook in the same time (4-5) hrs.

Any thoughts or suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rolled ribs cook same as if flat. No worries. You could do the ribs rolled and the ABT's all on the top grate IMO. Put the ribs towards the center and the ABT's around the outside.

Back