The suspect

DSCF1677.jpg

Known accomplices

DSCF1676.jpg

The evidence

DSCF1681.jpg

The verdict

DSCF1685.jpg

Couldn't really capture the jury on camera. Would have gotten weird looks from my co-workers
icon_smile.gif

i know that suspect, he lerks in my neighborhood as well, hes a ruthless s.o.b. and smells of hickory! good lookin pork, nice spice collection, mines so mixed up and strung out its not even funny, on of my winter projects is going to go into the garage and make a HUGE spice rack I can hang on the wall, we looked at a job the other day where a guy bought an old building to turn into something or another and whoever owned it I guess just left tons of oak, cherry, and all kinds of beautiful woods in the basement! Maybe i can get some of that. anyway its SO hard to find a decent sized spice rack that looked appealing i was surprised. ...so i'll make one
icon_wink.gif

Damn, this must be some sort of record for butts cooked in one week on this site. I did two earlier as well. Tom, I sure like the way yours look prior to the smoking process. You've got some pretty high dollar spices that I can't even pronounce let alone spell. Does the chipotle over power the meat or just make for a more flavorful bark?

Nice looking results there Tom. I understand that in some circles the suspect has put on some weight recently, but is still up to his same old tricks.

Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Damn, this must be some sort of record for butts cooked in one week on this site. I did two earlier as well.

Yep! Pulled pork (in my opinion) is a good way to feed a large number of people and still "wow" them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Damn, this must be some sort of record for butts cooked in one week on this site. I did two earlier as well. Tom, I sure like the way yours look prior to the smoking process. You've got some pretty high dollar spices that I can't even pronounce let alone spell. Does the chipotle over power the meat or just make for a more flavorful bark? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used two chipotles, and froze the rest in lightly greased ice cube trays ( I'm sick of buying a can, using one or two, and throwing the rest out) and froze them.

The rub I made up will still need more tweaking, it offered an interesting warmth and subtle spiciness, but it was all rather subdued. But there was a beautiful bark present. I ground up my rub first, then turned it into a paste using the two chipotles, about a Tbs of adobo, and about 2 Tbs of dark Puerto Rican rum.

Rubbed on early, (something I don't normally do) and allowed to sit in the fridge for about 18 hours before the cook. Smoked primarily with some of the best apple wood I've ever seen ( the smoke-wood fairy paid me a visit recently) and a bit of hickory.

All in all, it was a fun variation in seasoning, seeing how I couldn't add some of my usual components that contain sugar or other forms of carbohydrates.

The sauce I made up and took to work was my normal stand by for a quick flavorful sauce, a large quantity of Bulls Eye Original, lot's of honey, and a heaping Tbs of my favorite rub turns out an interesting and flavorful sauce in a hurry. I usually make two versions, with the second having extra cayenne pepper and a few shakes of some Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce, for those of us who like things hot too, like me.

I meant to add, there should be some chinese 5 spice tossed in there with the rub, or maybe a bit of cinnamon, cause it needed another component to it. That's kinda what I'm thinking thru my head at the moment.

Granulated ginger? Maybe more garlic powder? I don't know but it will be fun figuring it out.

Tom,

That does look great. Any more details on the rub you made?

And Dave, I hear ya. I love to smoke in the snow but it is way too cold today. -6 this morning.

Buckeye Bob

Hey Tom - looking good. I like the sounds of that rub. Your idea about cinnamon I think would cap it off nicely, would mate with the cardamom prettty well.

I started by grinding up one guajilo pepper, two cascabels. Tossed in one heaping Tbs of cumin, 2 tsp each of onion and garlic powder, 1/4 tsp of the peppercorn blend, cardamom, and turkish spice. 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, then proceeded to add the chipotles, and the rum and adobo sauce. Made a thick paste, applied.

Still needs some tweaking for sure.

Back