This weekend I lose my viginity

Brian Quintal

TVWBB Member
So this is it finally the weather has warmed to the 40's for the weekend and I get to break in my brand spanking new 22.5" WSM that Santa brought me AND my 1st ever smoke. I've grilled a ton of bbr's but never smoked anything. So I decided on ribs, not just any rib but St. Louie's ribs. So there are so many methods out there my head is spinning. What are peoples suggestions on the cooking method I should loose my virginity too.

I want some tasty ribs to munch on as I watch my Pats take care of business with the Texans...................

You'll be hooked. Too cold to smoke? It's never too cold too smoke! Now get out there and fire it up! (using my best football coach/Belushi voice..lol.) Smoking in the winter is great, my favorite time of year.

You'll be hooked. Too cold to smoke? It's never too cold too smoke! Now get out there and fire it up! (using my best football coach/Belushi voice..lol.) Smoking in the winter is great, my favorite time of year.

I hear ya I just didn't want my 1st smoke done when it was single digits out there. After a little experience and familiarity with the smoker I'll start doing cold weather smokes........ Maybe.......brrrrrr........can use it as an excuse so I can go out and smoke a cigar.....

No worries about the weather. It will be in the 50's here in New England!!!

I'm doing a brined turkey this weeked on my new toy!

Go Pats!!!

It will be warm enough to go outside here in Texas. Go Texans. Congrats on the smoker. I love my 18.5' and I plan to get the bigger one this weekend. Follow the link above to some successful ribs. Post a pic later.

it's actually MORE FUN to cook in the cold (i.e., 0 to 20ºF)
anybody can cook when it's 60 out.

it's actually MORE FUN to cook in the cold (i.e., 0 to 20ºF)
anybody can cook when it's 60 out.

Words to cook by! I live up in Lowell, and I have zero fear of making WSM smoked yumminess at any time of year. About the only thing I have not tried doing is a brisket during a blizzard.

Words to cook by! I live up in Lowell, and I have zero fear of making WSM smoked yumminess at any time of year. About the only thing I have not tried doing is a brisket during a blizzard.

Hey brother only 20mins or so away might have to get together for some good Q, beer, and cigar sometime.

Gary S said:
Watch out for the big water pan first time out!

What should I be watching out for?

Brian, welcome to the community of smokers. Ribs are a great place to start. Remember that it will take a few times to get to know your smoker. I usually smoke at about 250 and do St Louis ribs using a 2 1/2-2-1/2 process. During the last 15 min I add a light coating of sauce. My family prefers to have the ribs dry and then to dunk in their favorite sauce.

Also I agree with your tag line about a little piece of heaven.

Mike

I'm afraid I can't promise anything lol. I'm just hoping my tongs work.......

They got pills for that now.... :)

The warning about the water pan is (at least mine) is that it can easliy be knocked off the brackets and spill into your fire. Make sure the WSM is on a level, flat, stable surface and make sure the water pan is seated correctly on the brackets.

I then add my water to the pan using some jugs of water I've brought out with me and I carefully fill the pan and avoid splashing.

In the mod section of this site, therare topics that show you how to add washers between the sidewall and water pan bracket that will result in the bracket extending out a bit more thus providing more pan support.

Other's don't use water at all (they use sand, gravel, a clay flowerpot base or go au natural with nothing at all) YMMV.

Good luck!

They got pills for that now.... :)

The warning about the water pan is (at least mine) is that it can easliy be knocked off the brackets and spill into your fire. Make sure the WSM is on a level, flat, stable surface and make sure the water pan is seated correctly on the brackets.

I then add my water to the pan using some jugs of water I've brought out with me and I carefully fill the pan and avoid splashing.

In the mod section of this site, therare topics that show you how to add washers between the sidewall and water pan bracket that will result in the bracket extending out a bit more thus providing more pan support.

Other's don't use water at all (they use sand, gravel, a clay flowerpot base or go au natural with nothing at all) YMMV.

Good luck!

Got it, thanks for the heads up..............

Use the KISS method the first time out. Pull the membrane, season them up and throw them on and pull when they are tender. If you want to add sauce the last 15 minutes or so that would be fine. Remember you WSM is going to run hot the first few cooks so don't stress to much about that. Also go easy on the smoke wood as many newbies tend to over smoke on there first run.

Use the KISS method the first time out. Pull the membrane, season them up and throw them on and pull when they are tender. If you want to add sauce the last 15 minutes or so that would be fine. Remember you WSM is going to run hot the first few cooks so don't stress to much about that. Also go easy on the smoke wood as many newbies tend to over smoke on there first run.

I still use the KISS method for all my cooks. I figured it was good enough for all the ol' timers back in the day it's good enough for me. No foiling, mopping, flipping etc. I just throw whatever the meat is, in and let it do it's thing. Ribs and butt get a light coating of sauce after I apply the rub. Then into the smoker it goes. Brisket just gets the rub.

Back